SUA lift question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry, but I am very new here. This may be a no-brainer, but I am lifting my 40 with used sprung-under 5 inch Alcans springs. Do I need anything else to do the lift? New shocks, shims for the axles, etc? If I do need new shocks other than my old Rancho 5000's what shocks would work best with this app?

Can I expect any problems with a lift this high besides fallind out of it?
Thanks, donkey :mad: :mad: :mad:

may need longer brake lines on the rear (possibly the front) you may need longer shocks (likely) and maybe castor shims

ask the dude your gettin the used springs from what he had to do to fit them

Don't buy any shocks until the springs are on and you can hang the axles to full extension. Then you can measure for shocks.

Rancho is garbage, IMO.

O.k.

I heard that putting shims in the back would be O.K. but not the front, is this correct?

To measure fully extended springs do I jack up the bumpers, measure max length of shocks and buy maximun measurement? Or bigger? exact, shorter? What kind are best to use with these Alcans?

Do I only need longer brake lines between the frame and the axle? Flexable part?
thanks, :mad: :mad: :mad: Donkey

donkey said:
I heard that putting shims in the back would be O.K. but not the front, is this correct?

To measure fully extended springs do I jack up the bumpers, measure max length of shocks and buy maximun measurement? Or bigger? exact, shorter? What kind are best to use with these Alcans?

Do I only need longer brake lines between the frame and the axle? Flexable part?
thanks, :mad: :mad: :mad: Donkey

Donkey-

This is not correct, shims are used to correct your caster angle for your steering. They relevel your diff, so it isnt trying to nose dive into the ground all day long.

You wont need shims in the rear, you may need to work on your drive shaft if you get any u joints binding at full droop. You might be alright, I am at 4" sua and have no binding issues and no shims.

About shocks, yes, you want to get the wieght all the way off of the axles, so either lift if by the frame or bumpers. then measure the distance between the shock mounting points, this is the distance you want to make sure your new shocks can extend to. Any of the manufacturers can tell you the extended length of their shocks. The idea is you dont want your shocks holding the full weight of your suspension, they will fail.

You will want longer brake lines, yes from the frame to the axle. Napa can make these for you. I would extend them at least the 5 inches your are lifting, again, measure the distance while you have the weight off the axles.

Good luck, sounds like fun, and for what it is worth, I would invest in OME shocks, they are great.

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom