SUA How much lift for tires? 33's up to 37's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been talked about a ton.. well at least some of it has.

Everyone by now knows you can fit 33x9.5 stock.
33x12.5 with OME or similar.

35x12.5 and up is where it gets foggy. Why? Because everyone says go SOA! Well I'm not going SOA. I am staying SUA, about to put on my 4" alcan springs and other parts I have gotten together for the lift.

Some say I can fit 35's others say you cant and need a BL.
I saw this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=71516 for the Michelin XZL in 9.00R16 I still havent purchased rims so is it possible for me to fit these realistically without going SOA?

Also I would love any other input on any tires above 33's with a SUA.

1. What lift you have.
2. How much you had to cut.
3. What tires you are running.
4. What backspace and width of your rims and type.

Thanks!! Hope we can get some more great info out here on Mudd!!!

2" lift from springs, 1" lift from shackles, 2" body lift. That gives my guards about 5" of lift over stock with the COG benefits not far off a 3" suspension lift only. I have 35"x12.5" BFG MTs 15"x10" rockcrawlers with 2.5" backspacing. ZERO rub in the rear, and very minmal rub in the front at full stuff and steering lock, once my tyres wear down a bit probably no rub at all.

You can keep a SOA low. I know you're not interested, but the difference in ride between the SUA you need to run 35's without rubbing and a SOA is a WORLD of difference. I run a pretty low SOA, so does Waggoner5 and Berne60 and a couple of others.

Without a SOA, 35's are it. Michelin 9.00R16's are different, those tires are very narrow so you'll stuff them in there.

Exiled said:
Without a SOA, 35's are it. Michelin 9.00R16's are different, those tires are very narrow so you'll stuff them in there.

Any clue what type of rims I would have to run? Split rims? With tires that narrow could you not run the 40 series, disc, stock steel with hubs caps? And I assume I would need a BL? If so how much of one?

And rhen gearing 4.88's? I am not sure I really want to go that high. But it would be a cool combo. For now i am probably going to keep the 33's I have and run them for awhile. But I would love to knwo what options I have.

You have to run them on 16" rims. They don't have to be split. Can't do US-spec 40 series rims because those are 15" rims.

The only problem with this combo is that it's a tall, NARROW setup and wagons are heavy, when off camber those tires (aired down) are going to want to fold in under you.

4.88 would make sense at that point, 9.00R16s are like the equivalent of a 38".

Exiled said:
4.88 would make sense at that point, 9.00R16s are like the equivalent of a 38".

Sure . ? always I'm was thinking that 9.00 R16 = 35"

Tapage said:
Sure . ? always I'm was thinking that 9.00 R16 = 35"

I think he was refering to actual meassurements. I know some tires do not measure up to what hey are advertised.

I'm running 2.5' worn out springs, a 1" body lift and big shackles. It works OK, but they don't flex very well, and my breakover angle sucks. Just not enough room under the frame. I am running 35 x 12.5 x 15

My tires rub in the back, and in the front as well. I'm putting some spacers in and hopefully that helps. I have trimmed some sheet metal out in the front wheel wells.

In my opinion, anything other than an soa or your simple OME's is polishing a turd. I'll keep polishing mine until I can afford to do an SOA and do it right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom