Stupid rear window wire question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
he is my problem, it is very dumb but im stumped at this point...

The rear wire group comes with....

blue/white = window up
blue/ black = window down
Blue = Power
Black = ground

here is my issue, when I connect all the wires on where they go, nothing works, zip no movement.

I unplug the power cable (blue) and know the switch activates the window but it doesn't move the widow. I can see the motor trying to move it up or down but only 2 cm total.

does the power wire (blue) make the actual motor work. When it does work(blue wire unplugged), it will try and move for 3 seconds then i hear a click and then it stops. it will work again after 20 seconds? and ideas?

thanks

Sent by Motorola Razr

Here's some questions..

Do you have good grounds
Did the window work before, if so what have you done ( replaced something )
Is the window cocked in it's track, maybe the gears to the arms are not meshed together correct.
Are you sure the plastic gear in the motor housing isn't broke

As far as I know the power wire makes the motor work. Mine are older motors and don't have the four wire plug, might be something messed up there.

he is my problem, it is very dumb but im stumped at this point...

blue/white = window up
Blue = Power
Black = ground

here is my issue, when I connect all the wires on where they go, nothing works, zip no movement.

I unplug the power cable (blue) and know the switch activates the window but it doesn't move the widow. I can see the motor trying to move it up or down but only 2 cm total.

does the power wire (blue) make the actual motor work. When it does work(blue wire unplugged), it will try and move for 3 seconds then i hear a click and then it stops. it will work again after 20 seconds? and ideas?

thanks

Sent by Motorola Razr

Have you spent time in here: Rear window article available from Gary S

Yeah, this brilliant write up actually got me to get the motor working even a little bit. I will probably take it to an electrician. im stumped and it really is a mess in there.

thanks all

blue/white = window up
Blue = Power
Black = ground
fj55-rear-window-wiring-diagram-jpg.363148

Your motor is a three wire DC motor, to eliminate switching issues drag some jumpers back to the motor if it’s installed or test it on your bench with a 12V DC source. 12V negative will go to white with black tracer and then connect 12V positive to light blue with black tracer and the motor should move in the down position, next connect 12V positive to the light blue wire with white tracer and the motor should move in the up position. If your motor will not move through the range of motion unloaded then you have a motor or gear issue, if the motor works as expected then test your circuit with a test light to confirm you have good ground when the tail gate switch is pressed and 12V+ when the dash switch is operated in the appropriate position.

Last edited:
Good write up Jim. During one of my bloody bouts with the tailgate window, I had everything working good, but was a tooth off on the arm gears. That one tooth off was jamming the window in the track and stopping movement. Moved just a tad then stopped, just a thought.

Tailgate window = pain in the ass!

I ran new wires (red/up - white/down – black/ ground) to my tailgate but you can clearly see the three motor wires in this picture. FYI you should only have -12V ground when the tailgate switch is pressed.

Motor-wiring.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom