Stupid rear brakes - the return (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm STILL having problems with my driver's side rear brakes - same ol' same ol' - I'm looking for new ideas here.

The problem: the rear brakes warm up after a good bit of use, and they start dragging.

What I've done so far: I've replaced the wheel cyl, the shoes, all of the springs, everything has been cleaned and greased appropriately. The e-brake cable isn't binding or hung up on anything, etc.

So what do I look at now? Could it be the master cyl? (seems weird though that it would only effect one wheel) or - isn't there some sort of proportioning valve system where the lines split off after the master cyl?

I can't believe this retarded thing…

swank60 said:
I'm STILL having problems with my driver's side rear brakes - same ol' same ol' - I'm looking for new ideas here.

The problem: the rear brakes warm up after a good bit of use, and they start dragging.

What I've done so far: I've replaced the wheel cyl, the shoes, all of the springs, everything has been cleaned and greased appropriately. The e-brake cable isn't binding or hung up on anything, etc.

So what do I look at now? Could it be the master cyl? (seems weird though that it would only effect one wheel) or - isn't there some sort of proportioning valve system where the lines split off after the master cyl?

I can't believe this retarded thing…

I would guess Master Cylinder or brake booster pushing fluid against the wheel cylinder. LSPV is underneath the truck towards the rear - doubt it is an issue since only driver's side is giving you troubles but...

Long shot - axle bearings worn out allowing causing the axle to oscillate....

It might an overactive parking brake adjuster. That's the only issue I've ever had with the rear brakes other than the usual corroded belcrank levers. On my '82 I had this wierd problem where the adjuster mech inside the drum (driver side only I think) would keep expanding the shoes until they bound up. I measured both drums for wear and both were in spec but when I swapped the drums, the problem disappeard. Maybe one drum was too close to the limit for the lever to properly set the star wheel? Maybe the drum was out of round? I don't know other than the cause of the problem was likely related to a drum rather than the rest of the brake assembly. If nothing else solves your problem, you might spring for a pair of new drums.

You have probably done it, but I would bleed the rear brakes and flush about 4 oz through each of them. Basically flush the entire system with fresh fluid.You might of got a mix of different brake fluids.I have heard that sometimes the fluid goes bad and then expands when it heats up which causes the brakes to drag. Also there are not soft lines on the back brakes but on the front replace all the soft lines if you haven't done it.Their is the one soft line that goes down to the axle in the rear thinking about it now. Is the one that is dragging on the short side or long side on the axle hard line? I would replace this soft lines .The soft lines are known to break down inside causing the fluid to not flow in both directions smoothly. Sometimes a pieces of rubber can act like a flap which causes the fluid to flow smoothly in one direction but restrict it in the other.

Goodluck.

Last edited:
doOOD,
I din't know you were still alive. Try swaping the drums as said. My e-brake cable will cause my brakes to drag as well(more like the springs on the drum). Hope life is well brohiem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom