Stupid rear brakes...again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm getting the retarded brake lock up on the rear driver's side brakes - again.

Just recently - maybe 500 miles ago - I redid the shoes and springs for the rear drum. I greased everything, cleaned the crap out of everything, it should be good to go.

It starts to drag as I'm driving around town - especially if the weather is warm (70˚ or above) it doesn't do this crap in cold weather.

This time, the brakes do not drag because they are over adjusting/tightening themselves. What happens is the brakes stick, more or less. I can actually get them to release if I press down on the brake pedal really hard, or park it for a while with the e-brake on, then drive and pump the brake a little - eventually it pops back into place.

Any ideas? This only happens on the driver's side. The pass side is fine.

Wheel cyl not functioning properly?

swank60 said:
That's what I'm fearing. I wonder if it would help if I bled it a little - just in case there's some junk in there gumming up the works?

Cheapskate:D

I would just buy a rebuilt wheel cylinder. I find the brakes do better when you flush the system every few years. It gets rid of the crud and brake fluid won't break your piggy bank.

As for a money pit, once the 'Cruiser is running well it really isn't too bad. You just got to stay on top of any small problems before they become big ones!

Swankoid -
If you can find a rebuild kit (from NAPA, not VatoZone) it'd probably be less than $10. A good brake hone costs more, but you'll have it for life. These dinosaurs are great because they are repairable, designed before the product liability lawyers talked Toyota out of selling rebuild kits. Pinch off your flex hose with a pair of Vice-Grips before you crack 'er open.

cruiser_guy said:
...As for a money pit, once the 'Cruiser is running well it really isn't too bad. You just got to stay on top of any small problems before they become big ones!

After 4 years of driving this thing, I'm still waiting for that "reliability plateau" - somehow I don't think my truck will ever get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom