Stupid rear brakes...again

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by swank60, Nov 11, 2005.

1. swank60

swank60

So I'm getting the retarded brake lock up on the rear driver's side brakes - again.

Just recently - maybe 500 miles ago - I redid the shoes and springs for the rear drum. I greased everything, cleaned the crap out of everything, it should be good to go.

It starts to drag as I'm driving around town - especially if the weather is warm (70˚ or above) it doesn't do this crap in cold weather.

This time, the brakes do not drag because they are over adjusting/tightening themselves. What happens is the brakes stick, more or less. I can actually get them to release if I press down on the brake pedal really hard, or park it for a while with the e-brake on, then drive and pump the brake a little - eventually it pops back into place.

Any ideas? This only happens on the driver's side. The pass side is fine.

2. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Wheel cyl not functioning properly?

3. Jan-78FJ40

Jan-78FJ40

I would agree, probably a half dead cylinder.
    jan

4. swank60

swank60

That's what I'm fearing. I wonder if it would help if I bled it a little - just in case there's some junk in there gumming up the works?

5. Jan-78FJ40

Jan-78FJ40

I doubt that a little junk would cause the symptoms. Usually these things go, because the rubber seals in them deteriorate.
    you can get a set of 2 fro 30 bucks off ebay...not worth screwing with rebuilds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Wh...ewItemQQcategoryZ33571QQitemZ8013843214QQrdZ1

6. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Cheapskate:D

7. swank60

swank60

Damn right - this thing is a money pit, and there's no end in sight. Thank God baling wire and duct tape come in BIG rolls for cheap. :D

8. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

I would just buy a rebuilt wheel cylinder. I find the brakes do better when you flush the system every few years. It gets rid of the crud and brake fluid won't break your piggy bank.

As for a money pit, once the 'Cruiser is running well it really isn't too bad. You just got to stay on top of any small problems before they become big ones!

9. Tinker

Tinker

Swankoid -
    If you can find a rebuild kit (from NAPA, not VatoZone) it'd probably be less than $10. A good brake hone costs more, but you'll have it for life. These dinosaurs are great because they are repairable, designed before the product liability lawyers talked Toyota out of selling rebuild kits. Pinch off your flex hose with a pair of Vice-Grips before you crack 'er open.

10. swank60

swank60

After 4 years of driving this thing, I'm still waiting for that "reliability plateau" - somehow I don't think my truck will ever get there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.