Stupid Question??? Since you guys love the 20004 Oil Filter so much (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have to get my oil changed today but ran out of the 20004 filters more are on the way but won't come in time have to change it today. Would it be ok to use my 20004 filter that i have on there now or it would be a waste to change the filter at all with an old filter. Or if i have to buy 1 at the store which would u recommend Mobil 1? Since the 20004 is such a great filter could it last 2 oil changes? Thanks

How many miles are on your oil right now? 3K I'd say sure. 6K I would replace it is a US made filter and run it for 3K.

No i Ise the 20004 Filter made in Japan

I use the highly regarded 1 that most ppl on this board use. I have about 4k on it prob

01LXNY said:
I use the highly regarded 1 that most ppl on this board use. I have about 4k on it prob

I wouldn't hesitate to run 6-7K on that filter with a nice oil. I run 5K on whatever oil Toyota pours in with the cheapy filters and each time the oil looks great. Nothing indicating a issue. I do need to order 20004 though. I'd like to run them instead of the "American" budget filter since 90% of the people would rather skimp 5$ on a oil change and buy a pack of cigarettes.

FWIW the Mobil 1 and K&N filters are worthy.

Someone will have to prove it to me to believe that a stock toyota filter is better than the K&N/Mobile 1/Wix filters.

Go to a parts store and get a Mobil 1 filter for a 1995 Ford Taurus 3.0L V6.

I think it's a M1-209 or something like that.

It's 75% larger than the toyota OEM, and it's made well since it's Mobil 1.

Go to a parts store and get a Mobil 1 filter for a 1995 Ford Taurus 3.0L V6.

I think it's a M1-209 or something like that.

It's 75% larger than the toyota OEM, and it's made well since it's Mobil 1.

Yes it is the M1-209. The M1-102 also will work. You easily can go 7500k with the 209. Skol.

Yeah, I figured out the cross-reference to the M1-209 about 5 or 6 years ago at least when looking for an alternate to the tiny Toyota filter. I literally took filters out of their boxes and compared them to the Toyota filter until I found one that was the same diameter and thread pitch, but a longer body. Once I did that, I back-referenced the part number to find a vehicle that it fit so I could give others something to use when they searched for other compatable filters. The first vehicle I found using the filter was the 1995 3.0L V6 Taurus.

That's ALL I've used ever since (larger filter, not just in the Mobil brand). The UZJ's 2UZ-FE uses the same filter as the 5VZ-FE.

Here's what I posted 12-18-2006 on another forum...

For my 5VZ-FE (3.4L), I use a filter for a 1995 3.0L Taurus. yes, for a FORD.

I personally like the NAPA GOLD filters. good stuff, easily found, and affordable.

3.4L Toyota Filter Specs: (according to http://www.napaautoparts.com)

Item#: FIL1348

Price: $5.79
tax and shipping not included

Attributes:
Gasket I.D. (Inches):2.43
Gasket I.D. (mm):61.72mm
Gasket O.D. (Inches):2.734
Gasket O.D. (mm):69.44mm
Height (Inches):3.404
Height (mm):86.46mm
O.D. (Inches):2.921
O.D. (mm):74.19mm
Style:Spin-On Lube Filter
Thread Size (inches):3/4-16

3.0L Ford Filter Specs: (according to http://www.napaautoparts.com)

Item#: FIL1516

Price: $5.99
tax and shipping not included

Attributes:
Height (Inches):4.828
Height (mm):122.63mm
O.D. (Inches):2.921
O.D. (mm):74.19mm

the ford filter is $0.20 more, but has ~50% more filter media...

another candidate is the filter for a 3.0L Mazda, but I don't know what year range.

Item #: FIL1512
Attributes:
Height (Inches):5.842
Height (mm):148.39mm
O.D. (Inches):2.95
O.D. (mm):74.93mm

this one has ~70% more filter media than the standard OEM toyota filter!

Another interesting fact is that the V8 engine in my UZJ-100 Land Cruiser (V8) takes the same filter as the 4Runner, which is a prime candidate for the larger Ford filter since it also takes quite a bit more oil. The more media, the better...

The idea is to look at your filter side-by-side with other filters of the same diameter. Find on that has the same gasket diameter and same thread diameter/pitch, but with more filter media (overall longer).

Last edited:
As a frame of reference I believe a lot of folks using synthetics on this board go with ~10k oil change so I can't see how it's a problem to keep using it until your next change. If you're a purist/perfectionist, get one of the other filters people recommended (been using M1-209 myself).

Either run it or get a new Wix/Napa Gold/M1/PureOne. Or drive a few more miles with the current oil until you get the filter you want. This engine is very easy on oil.

Another M1 102/209 guy here, 12-15k OCI's with decent reports from Blackstone UOA's.

The 20004 has a synthetic media, so does the M1 extended performance filter (or so they say), K+N does not (unless you count "high flow media" as synthetic). Every filter study I've seen references the 20004 as the gold standard. The media w/ the 20004 is unique - compared to the M1 and K+N, which appear to be similar to the prior paper technology, it is foamlike. Also has a funny dust cover!

I use the K+N on my RX300, and have used PureOne's in the past. But if K+N, M1 and 20004 are the same $$$, I'd go w/ the 20004 (which is currently on my LC).

I know some people on here like the stuff that makes your car smoke providing voodoo miracles for your car to walk across water and the K&N air filters that increase your HP by 25+, but all that stuff is just marketing hype. Buy it if it makes you think you are doing something great for your vehicle. I'm gonna stick with the same engineers, who are proven capable of designing a Land Cruiser. Therefore, the subject oil filter is the best you can put on your LC and knowing Toyota, it's probably capable of going 10-20k miles with syn oil.

the issue isnt what oil you run so much as they dont design a filter that will last the mileage that most Car Makers recommend now and still be filtering as effectively... like those oils that say you can 7500miles or more on each LOF... sorry but I wouldnt trust a filter that long... I mean seriously... you wanna risk damage for a $5 filter and $30 in oil.... not me

I run Napa base filters.. I change every 5K.. so far no issues.. heck I had a turbo Subaru that I did the same except I ran amsoil oil... in 40K I never had one issue with Napa filters... just dont go FRAM ;) IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom