Stupid question of the day: CV axle boot replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
backcountryadventuretime.com
I tore a boot on my CV axle this summer. I threw my Vatozone spare in to get me through the season and the old one is taking space in my garage.

My plan is to replace the other side this winter when ill probs do the wheel bearings and some other stuff. I think it has a clunk. Also might be my u joints, i havent ever replaced those either.

Info on the axles: Approximately 110K mileage 40K being on 35s. OEM Toyota. Kind of feel extremely lucky they made it this far.

The question is do I:

A. Have any friends that want to help me rebuild the OEM Toyotas, or at this mileage is it worth it? i dont have the tools. I was told this is a DIRTY JOB.

B. Trade it in for core charge and get two more Vatozones, one for trail spare, or maybe keep the OEM toyota one I'm replacing this winter.

Thoughts?

I thought the aftermarket ones had 3 balls and the OEM ones had 6 balls, aftermarket not being worth the time to install
OEM reman or rebuilt would be the way to go
or new OEM

OEM or don't bother. I would rebuilt the OEM one, pull the Autozone one and grease it and vacuum seal it for a trail spare. YMMV.

It is a messy job, it isn't an overly hard job.

My 100 has almost 350k on the clock and I have only grenaded one OEM axle thus far.

OEM or don't bother. I would rebuilt the OEM one, pull the Autozone one and grease it and vacuum seal it for a trail spare. YMMV.

It is a messy job, it isn't an overly hard job.

My 100 has almost 350k on the clock and I have only grenaded one OEM axle thus far.
are you volunteering to supervise on the rebuild? I dont have tools for this job either.

I tore a boot on my CV axle this summer. I threw my Vatozone spare in to get me through the season and the old one is taking space in my garage.

My plan is to replace the other side this winter when ill probs do the wheel bearings and some other stuff. I think it has a clunk. Also might be my u joints, i havent ever replaced those either.

Info on the axles: Approximately 110K mileage 40K being on 35s. OEM Toyota. Kind of feel extremely lucky they made it this far.

The question is do I:

A. Have any friends that want to help me rebuild the OEM Toyotas, or at this mileage is it worth it? i dont have the tools. I was told this is a DIRTY JOB.

B. Trade it in for core charge and get two more Vatozones, one for trail spare, or maybe keep the OEM toyota one I'm replacing this winter.

Thoughts?
I could hook you up with a smokin' good deal on an OEM one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom