Stupid question: how do I remove the carburetor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched with Google and this forum's search, looked at the factory 2F manual and the Haynes manual, and I still can't figure out how to get the carb off. It's supposed to be easy from what I read. I'm probably sending it to Jim C., and have to check the manifold gasket too.

I have some sort of cover/shield that seems to cover the base of the carb, I'm guessing the nuts are under it? If so, how do I get it off without tearing it up? I can't tell how the shield is connected and did't want to just rip stuff up.

This seems to be something that nobody else has a problem with. :(

They can be a little difficult to get to but after removing all the stuff attached to the carb there are 4 nuts that hold it down. They're right on the base of the carb; pretty sure the shield isn't in the way.

remove the air cleaner.
remove the throttle return spring that is on the firewall side of the carb.
disconnect the throttle linkage. there is a ball in socket that is held in by a little cotter pin. this is where rod 78106 connects to bracket 78183. There is also a short piece, rod 78103 that snaps onto the throttle linkage on the carb.
disconnect the idle cut solenoid wire at the green plug.
disconnect the vaccum hoses that connect to various carb ports. I recommend lableing them so you know how they go back on.
disconnect the fuel line

The carb is held onto the intake manifold by four nuts (12mm wrench) at the carb base. The two nuts on the left side also hold on the linkage bracket. The two on the right side are a little difficult to get to. I use a shorty wrench, but others have recommended using a distributor wrench, or the like.

The heat shield is below the carb base and does not need to be removed to remove the carburetor.
accel linkage.JPG

Four nuts, at each corner, not under the heat shield. 12mm. You'll need a stubby wrench.

And not a stupid Q:

This is stupid:
overloaded%20car.bmp

carb0001_2.jpg

Forgot to mention the stubby wrench; I made do without but made a mental note to invest in some(still haven't, my mental shopping list is long!).
Only stupid question on mud is if you ask about swapping in something other than a diesel or a sbc; you'll catch hell for that one!

I just had to take my carb off this weekend and I cursed the dang thing the whole time. Certianly not a dumb question. I knew where the bolts were and still had a heck of a time with it. The problem on the motor side is all of those wonderful metal vacuum lines that are placed perfectly in front of the carb. Oh it was fun! I really wish I would have thought to use my dis. wrench. Great idea.

Stubby wrench is probably a much smarter way to go for those hard-to-reach nuts on the right side, but I usaully wind up removing the air rail for access with a full-size wrench.

Thanks. I have to take issue with one part--in my experience it's usually smarter to just take things apart. When you try to avoid taking out the stuff in the way, you either 1) break stuff, 2) end up wasting time and eventually taking out the stuff in the way, or 3) both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom