stupid question about my state inspection. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep. I’ve heard it’s tough up here. We have a place in FC but I’m keeping all my cruisers tagged in TX. Although I do have a stock 60 I’m gonna go through the smog system on and see if I can actually get it to pass. If so I’ll transfer the registration to the CO address as it will permanently reside up here.

While I was looking for some federal mandate that stated a year or guideline I did come across a patent that Ford motor company submitted back in 1967 for a clutch safety switch. But a patent is quite a bit different than a federal regulation.

In Vermont as of last August the state minimized the requirements for cars 15 years or older and eliminated any emission requirements. Prior to the. Your efi computer had to pass certain checks but there was no measurement of actual emission. Now not even a CEL will fail you on a 15/+ year old car.

Here in VA there’s a lot of varying levels of “caring” that can come from different inspection stations. Some care, some don’t. G-Man. Head out to Zion XRoads or somewhere outside of Cville. Everybody in town here is just trying to make a buck. A little further out you should be fine. That’s crazy... really? Nearly a 40yo truck and that’s the only thing he can find to fail you for?
tsk tsk.
:flush:

most likely the problem is the rig is older than the guy inspecting it. everything he ever drove has a switch on the clutch pedal.
I was thinking it was early/mid 90's that mini trucks got them and also a bypass switch on the dash.

my last resort when something like this happens is to ask to see the statute or regulation that they are quoting or are going by to get there conclusion

Last edited:
The tech said someone put a "bolt" where the switch is suppose to be on the clutch pedal arm. I think he is referring to the pedal height adjustment point at the top. Hard to prove to someone that something is NOT there when It wasn't suppose to be there. I will bring him a copy of this page/image of the clutch pedal adjustment.

View attachment 2497533

Also I guess I can bring him a copy of the wiring schematics and show him there is not mention of a clutch switch.
Geez, I like option C, choke-slamming that dumbass until he gets a clue.

I’ve heard of people taking the FSM with them to inspections so they can show various details as stock. Like the bolt the guy mentioned you could show it’s in the factory manual as stock. We used to bring the FSM with us to tech inspection at racing events to do the same thing.

When I took my driving license the teacher told that if your car stops on a bad location and wont start you can move the car with a gear on and using your starter. For example in the middle of a railway crossing.

The tech said that clutch safety switches were made because if a child were in the vehicle and turned the key then it woudn't accidentally start. Hmmm, why would a person leave a child in the vehicle unattended with the key in the vehicle? Can't fix stupid.

The tech said that clutch safety switches were made because if a child were in the vehicle and turned the key then it woudn't accidentally start. Hmmm, why would a person leave a child in the vehicle unattended with the key in the vehicle? Can't fix stupid.

While that certainly could be true the tech also has to come to grips with the reality of life in that new technology hardly if ever gets back dated to older vehicles. Just think about the liability that could be involved if you had to install a non-factory original safety device. If it were me I think after I got over the shock of being told I needed said switch I'd be pulling a Karen and asking to speak to the manager or shop owner. :rofl:

The VA State Police administers the inspection program, which you may already know. Call the office there in C'ville, and ask for the Trooper responsible for the area for inspection stations. Of course, it won't matter if they are reasonable when you show them the info you have.

The VA State Police administers the inspection program, which you may already know. Call the office there in C'ville, and ask for the Trooper responsible for the area for inspection stations. Of course, it won't matter if they are reasonable when you show them the info you have.
X2.
You can try showing him the schematic from the FSM. There is no safety switch between the ignition switch and the starter.

If that doesn't work, then maybe a call to your local Safety Inspection Area Offices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom