stupid question about my state inspection. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
87 fj60 stock 2f motor...failed inspection because it started in gear. Really??? Is there electrical neutral safety on a manual transmission linked to the ignition so it won't start in gear? I told the tech that you have to have a foot on the pedal or truck shifter in neutral or IT'S GOING TO START and LURCH FORWARD. Am I wrong?

87 fj60 stock 2f motor...failed inspection because it started in gear. Really??? Is there electrical neutral safety on a manual transmission linked to the ignition so it won't start in gear? I told the tech that you have to have a foot on the pedal or truck shifter in neutral or IT'S GOING TO START and LURCH FORWARD. Am I wrong?
Sounds like someone doesn’t know how to drive a truck.

Pretty sure he's wrong. I've had the transmission out and there is no electrical wires that go to the trans or the shifter except maybe for reverse lights.
I bet they don’t understand what the choke knob is for.

clutch safety switches didn’t come into play until some time in the 90’s I believe. Need to see if you can find if or when a federal regulation went into effect. My 84 doesn’t have a clutch switch. None of my 80’s saabs have them but my 1999 Saab dd has it.

None of the FJ60s had that horrible clutch pedal starter interrupt device. They're lame anyway.
The inspector needs to read his rule book more closely. He assumed it was originally part of the vehicle, when in fact it never had one

Here is the amended federal regulation:

S3.1.3 appears to be the original federal regulation but most of it is pointing to automatics...wording on all this stuff is heavy on the lawyer speak. But point is you should be able to point to the fact that the owners manual makes no mention of a clutch switch.

Also....thinking about this more the FJ60 was the last Land Cruiser sold in the USA to have a manual transmission (I believe)....other than grey market imports or 25 year rule exemption imports from 1995 or earlier.

The tech said someone put a "bolt" where the switch is suppose to be on the clutch pedal arm. I think he is referring to the pedal height adjustment point at the top. Hard to prove to someone that something is NOT there when It wasn't suppose to be there. I will bring him a copy of this page/image of the clutch pedal adjustment.

1605562558548.png

Also I guess I can bring him a copy of the wiring schematics and show him there is not mention of a clutch switch.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the tech thinks that any vehicle after 1969 is supposed to have this. Not sure where he's getting his info.

Yikes. Can you take the truck somewhere else for an inspection?

View attachment 2497550

Your inspection station needs to tell you which code you are supposedly violating and what reference they are using that says a 1987 FJ60 has a clutch interlock switch. Maybe @Onur can shed some light on how to prove something doesn't exist?

I will take this to them...this off the Virginia Motor vehicle safety inspection manual...the thing they should be going by. The note seems vague but I guess it's up to them to show me where my vehicle isn't an older model.

g-man, you need to go to an alternate inspection location. This person should not be allowed on the floor solo as he's apparently not been trained correctly. Although, if I'm in your shoes, I'd really enjoy a follow up conversation with him being armed with all the information provided in this thread. If he's still feeling smart, you should ask for his supervisor/manager. Sort of like dealing with all these solicitation calls we get every day. Every once in a while I have time to just screw with them :)
Good luck. Jimmy

g-man, you need to go to an alternate inspection location. This person should not be allowed on the floor solo as he's apparently not been trained correctly. Although, if I'm in your shoes, I'd really enjoy a follow up conversation with him being armed with all the information provided in this thread. If he's still feeling smart, you should ask for his supervisor/manager. Sort of like dealing with all these solicitation calls we get every day. Every once in a while I have time to just screw with them :)
Good luck. Jimmy
In Boulder Colorado the city has a monopoly on the testing facility. There is one company with one testing facility. It’s them or no registration.

Man that stinks. In TX we can inspect a vehicle in a different county than we live in. Is that the case in CO?
No way. You could register it in a different county under a different address, but that’s technicalky fraud and you’re still having to pass insane standards. It’s like they want the car to be cleaner than it was in the 80’s brand new. After failing 7 times I cheated and dumped the clean air intake right into the catalytic converter. Tech knew something was up but printed that passing certification anyway. He gave me that look as he said “congratulations, your truck is cleaner than a Prius.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom