Stupid oil consumption following head rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The ol' head gasket took a dump a month ago and with 212K on the clock and recent dirty oil (blackish grit), I decided to have the head completely rebuilt. My mechanic asked that I return at around 500 miles for an oil change and inspection of the head, so last weekend, I drove to Colorado Springs for an event. After returning, I'd have about 500-600 miles on the new head.

I didn't make it 75 miles before check oil light came on. I was a quart+ low.

Another 80 miles and I needed to add an additional quart. This time the oil on the dipstick was dirty- that blackish grit again.

I did notice smoke on hard acceleration, (something I'd never noticed before) and someone told me afterwards that they noticed smoke during a cold start that went away after a minute or so. Anywho, I ended up adding six quarts of oil to the beast before making it home from my trip.

Other than drinking oil, engine performance was quite good- strong power and around 14 MPG on both interstate and mountain highways (a couple of high passes). My mechanic spoke with the machine shop (a place with a great local reputation) and the shop is adamant about their work. They suggested that properly seated valves and new seals could increase compression enough that combustion is now being forced passed worn rings. I know my rings must have some wear and I've had to add oil on occasion, especially during high speed interstate driving. but find such a claim dubious, given that performance is good, but the ridiculous rate of oil burn. Mechanic will be doing a leak down test this week.

Have any of you experienced or heard of anything like this? Is it possible that my rings or cylinder walls are that sketch?

I rebuilt my head, did Cometic head gasket, ect about a month ago & currently at 470 miles.
Plan on doing oil change at 500 miles too.

I haven’t had to add oil yet & it’s still clean looking.

My compression numbers before head rebuild:
F5D2454C-A19F-45B0-932B-95CE66D610AA.jpeg

Do you have any pre #’s to compare to current #’s?

That oil has to be going somewhere and I'm curious about the grit. I'd consider sending an oil sample to blackstone as a good option and potentially less expensive than mechanic time if they don't find something pretty quickly.

As a point of reference my FZ had 220k ish on it when I replaced the HG and valve seals, etc. I've not added any oil between changes since doing that work.

What is the compression numbers? Low enough compression to cause that would normally effect power, smooth engine running, etc. How is the breather, clogged PVC, breather box in the valve cover, etc?

I was burning about a qt every 1000 miles at 220,000 miles. I did a hg as pm and a full head rebuild putting new guide and seals in. Now if I go 4000 or so between oil changes I still don't need to add any oil. At 285,000 miles now I might be 1/2 qt low every 5000 miles. I don't add oil between changes. You have a problem. I would have the shop figure it out.

Thanks for the responses. No pre-rebuild compression numbers. When the mechanic sent someone to get the vehicle yesterday (it had been sitting since last Saturday), it was smoking heavily while cold-idling, something it never did before. Hoping for a quick resolution, here!

Sorry to have kept all y'all on pins and needles for so long.

Briefly, my mechanic took the rig to his shop, where a compression test showed about 140 across all six cylinders (kinda low, I think). The leak-down test proved that the rebuilt head was fine, but there was some audible "hiss" coming from the bottom end, indicating leakage passed the rings. The machinist posited that maybe the wiper rings were gummed-up, or stuck or something, so my mechanic administered Seafoam in all six cylinders overnight and test drove the next day. He said that there was no noticeable smoke, so he put in fresh oil / filter and called me to "come and git" her.

Of course, I'm like, "Sure I believe that Seafoam treatment fiixed everything", like, not at all. But I took the rig home and have put at least 150 miles on her. Checking dip stick revealed no apparent loss of oil, and the oil is reasonably clean. Also, no sign of smoke at all. Performance remains great.

I'll probably put another 80-100 miles on her tomorrow, hoping that this trend continues. But, man, am I blown away! Seaform to the rescue? Get the f*$k outta here!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Stuck rings are stuck rings... snake oil works for snakes; just be weary of it fixing everything else

Sorry to have kept all y'all on pins and needles for so long.

Briefly, my mechanic took the rig to his shop, where a compression test showed about 140 across all six cylinders (kinda low, I think). The leak-down test proved that the rebuilt head was fine, but there was some audible "hiss" coming from the bottom end, indicating leakage passed the rings. The machinist posited that maybe the wiper rings were gummed-up, or stuck or something, so my mechanic administered Seafoam in all six cylinders overnight and test drove the next day. He said that there was no noticeable smoke, so he put in fresh oil / filter and called me to "come and git" her.

Of course, I'm like, "Sure I believe that Seafoam treatment fiixed everything", like, not at all. But I took the rig home and have put at least 150 miles on her. Checking dip stick revealed no apparent loss of oil, and the oil is reasonably clean. Also, no sign of smoke at all. Performance remains great.

I'll probably put another 80-100 miles on her tomorrow, hoping that this trend continues. But, man, am I blown away! Seaform to the rescue? Get the f*$k outta here!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Did this fix it?? :)

I'd be willing to bet that the shop put a vacuum hose back in the right place and gave the credit to Seafoam to fix it.

Seafoam will not fix a condition like mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom