stupid cut and turn question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
JUST TO DOUBLE CHECK.....

I rotated the pinion angle up to 14 degrees and tacked the perches.

If I sitting in front of the left (Driver side - long axle side), what should the needle read on the angle finder?

If 0 is center, should the needle be 5 to the left or to the right of 0? I assume to the left of the needle would be -5?

So essentially tilting the pinion angle to 14 degrees made the knuckles a positive 15? So I just need to turn them back 10 degrees or so, so that the needle is to the right of the 0, by 5.

The result - driver side - to the right of 0 by 5, and passenger side - to the left by 5 - so that in the end the knuckles are pointed or tilted 5 degrees "forward"? Or is it back?

Just need another eye here before I start welding.

ragman

steering arms should be 5 deg. above level iff still stock ( steering that is) so sitting at the drivers side with the anglemeter on top of the knuckel the neddle should be to the right of zero

I agree with isotel ,
FWIW the top of knuckles are closer to the rear of truck or lean back in your terms

3.5 * on passenger side and 4* on driver .
unbalanced 36's , soa , and drives great
the offset in deg. is just mimicking the diff. that was there from the factory . You prolly noticed it if you measured em before disassembly.

I would caution you on the 14* unless you are tall rig. One guy on here just finished his rig at 15* and it is way to much IMO. I did mine at 10* and it is just below dead striaght with driveline..

please figure if your springs are degreed at mount or not!!! dont know from this thread.

it is nice not to run steel shim :) alum suck worse

4-6 norm 8 is most caster i would, make sure you have a wet pinion bearing important but overlooked by many. same for most any axle :)

BTW c n t overrated IMO unless changed major sus setups.

kc_chevota said:
steering arms should be 5 deg. above level iff still stock ( steering that is) so sitting at the drivers side with the anglemeter on top of the knuckel the neddle should be to the right of zero

Okay here is the problem. With the right or left of the needle. depends on what kind of tool you are using.

If your using this one and on the drivers side then the needle needs to be left of 0
IMG_3900.jpg

If your using this one and on the drivers side then the needle will be right of 0
anglefinder.jpg

peesalot said:
I agree with isotel ,
One guy on here just finished his rig at 15* and it is way to much IMO.

And if you are talking about me then I agree with you. I rotated housing to 14 degrees. and 5 degrees on the knuckle. I think it is a little to much but time will tell.

Well - fwiw - I finished welding up the perches, and becuase I did not have the ubolts tight, when I let the jack off the underside of the diff, and let everything sit - as it would going down the road - the final pinion angle is around 12.5 to 13.

Might be just right.

Cheers - and thanks everyone for the explanation - this can be a bit confusing with all the tools and such. I am using the same angle finder you had trollhole, in the first exhibit - the orange 'johnston magnetic" one - Lowes, 9.99.

Ragman

Ok, just finished this. I will post pictures shortly.

By the way - NO TORCH IS NEEDED FOR THIS PROJECT AT ALL. I cut mind around with a 4" cut off wheel until I can see the line all the way around. I left the old bearign races in and using a crow bar and a hammer, they turned like butter with a few good smacks.

DRIVER SIDE: Looking at it - gets rotated clockwise. I rotated mine until it was 4 degrees. Imagine if you will, a > sign if you are looking at the driver side, it ramps up towards the front of the vehicle.

PASSENGER SIDE: Looking at it - it gets rotated counter-clockwise until < is at 4 degrees.

hope that helps clarify....

ragman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom