Stupid conversion question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
O.k. I have a question that I think I know the answer for but wanted some advice. I am planning a 350 conversion for my 60 and I am currently looking for a motor. I am really thinking that I will be going with a simple carburated set up. I cannot afford the time and money involved in a fuel injected set up. So here is my stupid question. I have found several long blocks that are from 1999-2001 chevy trucks. These are TPI vortec units with around 40,000 miles on them. If I take the engine in the long block form, use a different manafold and different distributor, can I set it up with a carb and expect it to run?

If you are buying the TPI already and it includes the harness and computer, most of the expense of the swap is done. You CAN swap to a carb, but why?!? IMO, the effort to tune and adjust a motor expecting FI and working with a carb would be a PITA...

and don't even try to smog it....

If the engines are out of 99-01 chevy truck then they are probably a 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 or 8.1 and finding a carb. manifold may be impossible. They did use the 350's in some of the vans and crew cabs up to 2000 but the rest have the new engines. Like Woody said, stick with the fuel inj. It may look intimidating at first but its not and it is much better than a carb set up.

The later model 5.7L engines have a slightly different intake manifold bolt pattern. They can be easily machined to fit. The Vortec heads flow very well. Quite a few of them are sold for carb conversions.

I would also go with the FI, but it's not necessary. Only if you want consistant running, no camber problems, easy cold starts, less smelly exhaust, less fuel in the oil, less carbon build up, better power, better fuel mileage and on and on.

The one I found was a 350 out of a 2000 van. They will give me the whole engine, harness, computer and all accessaries for a great price ($1000) but I am scared about how to wire the thing up. I did a painless kit on a J##P once but found it confusing because it included so many wires that were not needed. &nbsp:Does anybody make a harness for a 2000 5.7 Vortec swap? Or will I have to build one from the old harness?

I just did a TBI install from a 91 van....with the Mitchell diagrams, it was a breeze. There were maybe 8 wires to hook up. The toughest part is keeping the required sensors, but there are enuf kits out there that it shouldn't be bad either.

consider the vorteccruisers mailing list....found at the "Lists & Boards" link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom