Stuff on my 80's To-Do list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone welcome to my TEDTalk on smooth brain questions.

I would like to start off by saying that I am sorry to any of the old men who get a boner off telling me that what I am asking for has already been posted somewhere else.

I had bought a beautiful and luscious 1992 FJ80 off someone in town who sold it to me for 2k. Now im a man of cheap tendencies and when I saw such a deal I pulled out all my drug money and spent it on it. Im not a drug dealer I just embellish to keep my readers entertained; you are welcome. I bought her in 2018 and I have had her ever since. I started to work on her just as a soldier coming back from war would work his mistress. I did the preliminary things such as..

1. New spark plug wired
  2. New plugs
  3. new distributor rotor
  4. new distributor
  5. New starter
  6. New starter coil
  7. New alternator
  8. New front brake calipers
  9. new brake pads
  10. new brake lines
  11. new master cylinder (upgraded to a 1" bore)
  12. Repacked front knuckles
  13. new interior pieces
  14. New tires and upgraded to 16" rims to fit bigger rotors
  15. new MAF
  16. New hood struts
  17. ETC but not really
  18. New plasma TV
  19. Thanks for reading my list
  20. I sang to her (im so lonely)
Now just as a young trophy wife, she took all of my money; but as the desperate man I am i went back to her. Now my question for all the lovely members in the audience is...

"what other obvious tech modifications are preliminary on a new purchase?"

Now that I think about it I should post this in the build thread. Ill just copy and paste it. Now im going to upload photos tomorrow for those two lads who are invested at this point. I am at work right now and the pentagon doesnt really like me using there computers for "personal stuff". Something about homeland security being jealous of my rig but i dont really know.

SO i guess my question is are there any other things that yall didnt think about replacing at first but ended up needing to be?

Ill update this as I get more money for my 80 and hopefully im not banned for saying boners at the beginning of this thread.

Btw here name is Helga and she is perfectly not perfect 😇

I feel dirty after reading this. You should wash her and apply a rust inhibitor to the underside. Fluid Film or Wool Wax comes to mind. Where are the pictures? Helga needs to be seen and admired from a far.

"what other obvious tech modifications are preliminary on a new purchase?"
electrical grounds and battery cables, cleaning out the EFI relay, fuel pump & sock, fuel filter, PHH, heater valve, replace gas cap with new one, charcoal canister (oh wait do you have one?) air filter
SO i guess my question is are there any other things that yall didnt think about replacing at first but ended up needing to be?
electrical contact cleaner on plugs and a DAB i mean a DAB of dielectric grease, sunroof? make sure it doesnt leak or look up the bicycle tube fix, im sure your power steering reservoir cap is leaking so get a new one, radiator cap, fan clutch status? throttle cable & vacuum lines, air cleaner intake hose...should i keep going or you good?

BTW i use a VPN so you can tell your coworkers to kiss my arse! =]

DC0DB7BF-D3C1-4A31-8B03-9C8CC9E127D6.jpeg

F440DAC3-A1E7-4E59-BAAB-D5465328A00C.png

B7853458-5707-427B-80F9-C2DE2205EF83.jpeg

3CE4E1D6-6806-4D62-91CE-39F74CF863E2.jpeg

2C00B60C-EF21-4BFB-91FD-83F557D7E8C8.png

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:
Welcome to the fold

Make sure to get your, lift, 35's, bumpers, roof rack, and roof top tent asap so you can look cool like all the overlanders.

Haha, JK. It sounds like your on the right track with all the maintenance. Just use the rig and fix whatever breaks. The cool parts will come eventually. Kind of like a young trophy wife, no need to hit up the sex store for at least a few years or so, you need to wait until you get bored and she isn't young and sexy anymore.

Are OEM battery cables still available? For some reason, I am having a hard time finding the right part number for these.

After being visually stimulated (to stick with the thread theme), i would sit back and just admire the view. Baseline is mostly done and others have covered the basics. Buy a spare front and rear brake caliper bolt, fusible link, and EFI relay and call it good.

Are OEM battery cables still available? For some reason, I am having a hard time finding the right part number for these.
There are a number of aftermarket cable suppliers who can get you so,etching better than the unavailable oem ones. My truck has a combo but the most recent additions came from @OTRAMM -can’t go wrong there.

electrical grounds and battery cables, cleaning out the EFI relay, fuel pump & sock, fuel filter, PHH, heater valve, replace gas cap with new one, charcoal canister (oh wait do you have one?) air filter

electrical contact cleaner on plugs and a DAB i mean a DAB of dielectric grease, sunroof? make sure it doesnt leak or look up the bicycle tube fix, im sure your power steering reservoir cap is leaking so get a new one, radiator cap, fan clutch status? throttle cable & vacuum lines, air cleaner intake hose...should i keep going or you good?

BTW i use a VPN so you can tell your coworkers to kiss my arse! =]
No PHH on this one.

@BILT4ME This must be the stronger engine that pushes bus trannies (not cross dressers). Long live the 1FZ anyway!!

I feel dirty after reading this. You should wash her and apply a rust inhibitor to the underside. Fluid Film or Wool Wax comes to mind. Where are the pictures? Helga needs to be seen and admired from a far.
Should I get a shop to powder coat the undercarriage parts or is the rust inhibitor just a spray on thing (or a paint?)

Rust inhibitor on the frame. Just clean up the easy stuff and spray on top.

If you want to pull parts and get powder coated you definitely can, you’ll need to sand blast them or they will before they can coat them, it will cost more.

If you have time take a wire wheel to the frame and brackets and clean it good. Depending on condition if it’s not bad just use a good primer and then paint, or a high end frame paint.

if it’s more pitted or rough after wire wheeling maybe use a rust converter paint, or at least on the places you couldn’t get at very well, leave it a day then primer and paint.

it’s ugly work to do but nice for peace of mind that your taking care of and preserving it’s integrity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom