Studebaker Land Cruiser, wonder if the parts are interchangeable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Studebaker Land Cruiser is an automobile that was produced by the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana (United States) from 1934–1954. The Land Cruiser debuted at the World's Fair alongside the Silver Arrow, a product of Studebaker's former premium make Pierce-Arrow. It was also manufactured in Vernon, California. Wikipedia
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Land_Cruiser
    slc.jpg

Hello,

The 1976 (?) - 1984 badge shares some styling with the badge from that Studebaker. Maybe the designers at Toyota took a clue from it?

Juan
You're accusing Toyota of borrowing designs from other automakers?
Where is that "incredulous " emoji?

Hello,

Not at all. You can get inspiration for your designs from many sources.

Juan

Sweet, so who is going to swap this body on to an 80 series chassis with 37s and a diesel? I want to see it!!
I have always wanted to build a Studebaker Pickup on the FJ40 chassis and running gear! Too old for that "shnnntz" now!

Studebaker was all sorts of messed up the last few years of existence. The packard - studebaker merger putted out to nothing and in 1966 they let go of their trademarks but the studebaker name

65 was more interesting because studebaker went to Nissan and was trying for a merger or anything that could save them … the higher ups at studebaker in usual not thinking it thru told their liaison in Japan to go to Toyota as well before coming home.

Toyota found out before hand that they went to Nissan first (toyota had ‘people’ at other Japan manufacturers as did others at toyota) Toyota refused to even meet with them as they were insulted that they didn’t come to toyota first… Nissan in turn found out that studebaker were going behind their back … also insulted they told the Studebaker guys to take a hike

They went home empty handed and were essentially out of business in 67 … they merged with an electric company that in turn I think folded in the 70’s

From what I had read when coming up with the name in the minds of toyota the name cruiser was synonymous with type of car that drives distances … there were other manufacturers that used cruiser in the name as a sub model the term cruiser back then was like somebody calling something a sedan or a coup… it was a common name used in describing a type of car sooo eventually thought and came up with land cruiser

When toyota came out with land cruiser as it’s new name they found out later that studebaker had a land cruiser as well but had dropped the name for the hawk

They weren’t going to change again and waited for a possible suit to come to them … never did … they continued along with their new name for our trucks in Japan

From other reading it was said that toyota went and trademark searched and applied for their names in preparation for setting up their operations in USA a year prior in 56’ to find out there was no holdings to names they were going to use … land cruiser being one
It was not said anyplace that I had read wether studebaker had trademark the land cruiser name prior or not or if it had expired … either way toyota was clear to market the crown and land cruiser

When visiting USA ford factories in the early 50’s Toyoda was amazed at ther production methods … toyota at the time was making about 40-50 cars a day… ford was making over 8k a day. He had a lot of respect for ford and regarded the Ford family as a friend and even tried to sway a merger of their own to get a better footing in USA … that didn’t go to far either lol

Good thing :)

I sense a tad bit of sarcasm

Hey, you’re almost done with the Milk Truck😉
When it is done I planning to spend a lot more of my time on the trail instead of slaving away in the garage.

Yeah, I don’t want to see it bad enough to do it myself.😂

My 59 Lark was almost a 4x4 Queen installed on a 1960 K10 Chevy frame.

Fortunately, my Dad talked me off the ledge......

IMG_20170615_183910519_HDR.jpg

This was Hot Rod Power Tour 2017.

I've known about Land Cruisers for YEARS. Just not the Toyota ones........

I believe the Studebaker Museum has bumper stickers that read "My other car is a Land Cruiser"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom