Stuck spark plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Changing plugs, and got to #6 and can’t get it out! The wrench feels like it’s just spinning and not catching the nut on the spark plug. Any suggestions?

Have you got a clear visual on the plug?

It has all the shoulders still?
And not some goofball -offsized hex head?

Used vehicles you do a particular job on the 1st time you can’t just assume all 6 plugs are indentical, or anything else really.......

Use an inspection mirror to look into the well.

Does it engage if you try to tighten it?

Just an idea - make sure the boot of the plug wire isn't still in there. Mine was in there and I cut a wire hanger, sharpened and curved it to get the old one out.

B004D1B8-2391-46C4-A4E6-50CFC3222C8E.jpeg

Best picture I could get while trying to fit all 6’6” of me in the engine bay to get to it. It’s the same both directions, won’t grab the plug. Plug wire goes back on ant truck runs and starts fine.

Best picture I could get while trying to fit all 6’6” of me in the engine bay to get to it. It’s the same both directions, won’t grab the plug. Plug wire goes back on ant truck runs and starts fine.
Looks like the classic boot came off the wire and is still wedged in the plug.

Many of us have fought this.

I used two dental picks and about 3 hours of laying on top of the engine trying to get it out. After getting out the big chunks, use compressed air to blow out the particles so they don't end up in the cylinder when you remove the plug.

Good luck!

I've done similar to above however I find heating the coat hanger or wire red hot a bunch of times to melt through the rubber easier. Then as said blow out the debris before removing.

i just had this happen. i used a pic and rigged up a real fancy device to suck out the bits. i took a piece of heater hose and a bunch of tape to fit it to my cheap ryobi battery powered vac. took about 30 minutes.

I used a Milwaukee brand 7/8" hole saw with an adaptor (both sold
at Home Depot) to attach it to a cordless drill. The teeth on the saw can get to the rubber to chew it up but can't get past the Hex on the plug, so won't dig into the head. Got the idea from ? someone else on the forum who wrote about it years ago.

Also used a set of long picks, wasted a ton of time with that, then used my shop vac set to blow by putting the suction hose on the exhaust side ( I don't have compressed air, but I'm sure that would work even better). Then used a narrow funnel, just held over the larger shop vac suction tube, to direct the air down into the spark plug tube; that blew a big cloud of debris out after my two hours of picking at it. Got the spark plug out easily after that.

Last edited:
rebelfj80, Once you get that broken off plug wire boot out of there, make sure when you reinstall your new plug wires you use some Dielectric grease on the inside of the spark plug boots. This will keep the boot from sticking fast to the spark plug, and prevent this condition from happening again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom