Stuck side of road…transmission won’t engage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I visited my local Napa chain and they have no 3/8 transmission rated hose. And no estimate on when they will. Nor do they have those metal coils for holding a hose radius. Fail.

Next I tried calling a local industrial and hydraulic hose distributer. They repair and crimp hoses on site. They don't have Continental but an equivalent from Eaton. I'll probably go this route.

I haven't tried AutoZone or advance auto. Should I bother?

There is a diagram of the hoses and location earlier in the string. I doubt you did any damage to the transmission. Obviously don’t drive it until you find the leak get it fixed.
Yeah, saw a routing diagram, but not how they all are supposed to fit nicely with the power steering lines, and how that plastic clamp on the shroud plays in.

Looks like O Reilly's has it available.

Gates 3/8" Transmission cooler hose. You'll need hose clamps as well.

Looks like O Reilly's has it available.

Gates 3/8" Transmission cooler hose. You'll need hose clamps as well.
They seem like a great spot for Gates Green Stripe heater hose too. too bad we don't really have O'Reilly's around these parts. Closest one is 25mi away. Trying to avoid mail ordering hose, and paying shipping.

You are going to need some ATF as well..... perhaps a combo trip to pick it all up at once :)

You are going to need some ATF as well..... perhaps a combo trip to pick it all up at once :)
hah, yeah i could. but a LONG way to go to get ATF that is sold everywhere...and i have 2.5 quarts already on hand. and i have a box of hose clamps. its just the hose i'm missing.

but at $4.29/ft and they claim to have it in stock i am considering it :)

i forgot to ask the industrial supplier what their price per foot is. but they are 3mi away

Last edited:
Well you are on your way to getting it fixed. You will need more than 2.5 quarts of fluid. I added 6 to line after the repair. Be sure not to overfill. There is a dipstick for measuring. Napa was out of the hose when I needed it as well. I bought 10 feet from the Toyota dealer, they carry it on spools.

Picked up 8' of 3/8" 300psi hose from the local supply shop. $3/ft.

They did not have any unicoil or ezcoil how bending things. Nor had they ever heard of it, but the deal mostly in hydraulic hose and fittings. I found on Amazon a Continental 1/2 ezcoil, which I think will be the right size for this .6 od hose. But I might add all the sizes to my cart. And spiral wrap.

Before day light ran out I wiped down, soaped up and pressure washed everything as best I could

No smoking gun just yet. Probably have to pull the battery and fan shroud first.

PXL_20211118_220609439.jpg

I don't like the look of the hose pressing against the shroud. The hard fitting has paint marks indicating it is clocked right, but is it? This is a new TYC radiator.

Put some ATF in it and look for the leak. Have someone put it in gear and stand on the brake. I can’t imagine it won’t stand out…

On the TYC1918 radiators, those fittings are easily adjusted by just loosening the lock nut and rotating the fitting to where you want it. I lined mine up to avoid kinking the ATF cooler hose as it's routed, and you might consider doing the same.

The plastic clip holds those hoses to the fan shroud, but most will be brittle and broken at this point. It's a bit hard to get at once everything is in place, but I'd recommend reusing your old one or buying new to be sure you don't get chafing of your cooler lines. There's a fair number of sharp plastic edges on the shroud.

Put some ATF in it and look for the leak. Have someone put it in gear and stand on the brake. I can’t imagine it won’t stand out…
oh, i'm sure it'll stand out....and coat me in ATF. my driveway is starting to look like a Superfund site as it is. trying to avoid that option. i really suspect that hose to shroud interference. found some other posts here of people that had the same problem. i already have the bulk hose and everything i need to replumb those 5 hoses up front, so may as well just do it now. fill it up. and enjoy no leaks anywhere.

On the TYC1918 radiators, those fittings are easily adjusted by just loosening the lock nut and rotating the fitting to where you want it. I lined mine up to avoid kinking the ATF cooler hose as it's routed, and you might consider doing the same.

The plastic clip holds those hoses to the fan shroud, but most will be brittle and broken at this point. It's a bit hard to get at once everything is in place, but I'd recommend reusing your old one or buying new to be sure you don't get chafing of your cooler lines. There's a fair number of sharp plastic edges on the shroud.
looks easy. which one is the lock nut (looks like there are two nuts, so i'm thinking its the outer one. loosen, reclock, tighten). hope i have the correct size wrench. but annoying they ship like this. i didn't even think to check that fit before i installed it. now i know. i have one clip on the shroud, holding one hose. i also have spiral wrap on the way.

Finally got some time before dinner to dig deeper. Found the problem, like I expected

PXL_20211122_224016546.jpg

That cut is from the end of the hard line pushing the hose into the shroud. Put a 19mm wrench on the fitting and clocked it CCW for clearance.

I've started removing hoses and measuring replacements. Using this hose:

PXL_20211122_215404200.jpg

Hopefully I'll wrap this up on Wednesday when I'm taking the day off. I'm a few hose clamps short and many quarts of ATF as well.

Job complete. Not hard but very time consuming and messy. Would have been so much easier if all the hoses were still available from Toyota. My driveway is a mess! Somehow lost a screwdriver and 10mm wrench in the process.

Ended up grabbing 9.5' of hose from CarQuest at $2 something a foot, it's all they had. It is labeled transmission oil cooler hose and is SAE rated. a box of #6 hose clamps secure everything.

I replaced the 5 hoses up front. A heat gun helped get the hoses over the hard lines but it wasn't easy. I duplicated the factory chafe proofing with spiral wrap. And for the 90* hose at the lower radiator I used a Continental 1/2" ez coil meant for heater hoses. It had the smallest inside diameter but is still too large for the 3/8 inside diameter hose I used, but it's doing it's job.

So far I've added 6qt of ATF and I think I'm still a 1/2 quart or more low, as I read the dipstick. One more trip to the store. I let the engine warm up, then drove around in every gear for 30+ minutes. Let the truck idle on flat ground while I checked the dipstick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom