Stuck side of road…transmission won’t engage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yikes-
So I’m driving down the interstate and the transmission starts slipping out of gear. I pulled off and tried to put it in park and then back into gear. It will move the truck ever so slightly. I jumped out and looked underneath and it looks like ATF fluid leaking from the front left corner of the engine bay. Any thoughts on known issue? Maybe a problematic trans line?

Yikes-
So I’m driving down the interstate and the transmission starts slipping out of gear. I pulled off and tried to put it in park and then back into gear. It will move the truck ever so slightly. I jumped out and looked underneath and it looks like ATF fluid leaking from the front left corner of the engine bay. Any thoughts on known issue? Maybe a problematic trans line?
Lines to the cooler?

If not replaced previously, problematic 25+ year old hoses :)

There's a transmission cooler built into the bottom of the radiator and and additional one in front of the radiator and a bunch of hoses. At least on a '97.

There's also a dipstick on the transmission so you can check if it is indeed low if you've lost ATF from the transmission.

cheers,
george.

Isn't the paperclip cooler under the radiator a trans coolant line? Maybe check that area for the leak.

Paperclip is for power steering.

cheers,
george.

Yikes-
There are short hoses to the cooler in front of the radiator that could have ruptured.
There are hoses near the bottom of the radiator that could have ruptured.
There are hoses along the left side of the engine that could have ruptured.

Check the dipstick and refill with the proper ATF. (Don't overfill)

Keep stopping and refilling if you cannot actually repair it properly where you are.

If you cannot add fluid, DON'T drive it.

My wife is bringing me tools….the leak is somewhere under the battery near the radiator. I really appreciate everyone’s feedback. I’m hoping it’s a fitting I can tighten and limp home after adding some fluid. I checked the fluid level, very low.

ATF Dexron II is the correct fluid. (Or current equivalent)

Drain and refill = 2.0 Qt.
Dry Fill = 11.6 Qts

Below are the 3/8" lines you are dealing with. If it is underneath the battery it is probably lines #4 or #5. You could bypass the hard metal elbows underneath the battery box and go straight from the transmission cooler to connect to the radiator or tranny.
1631643803901.png

ATF Dexron II is the correct fluid. (Or current equivalent)

Drain and refill = 2.0 Qt.
Dry Fill = 11.6 Qts
That all depends on which model year/transmission. I think the A343F is more like 4 quarts and the A442F is 6 quarts for drain/refill. If the transmission is pumping fluid into one of the cooler lines that is ruptured then those quantities would be even larger.

Great link cartercd. I realized today that all the lines are discontinued. Future plan is to get them all replaced. Thanks again everyone for the input. Very helpful.

Great link cartercd. I realized today that all the lines are discontinued. Future plan is to get them all replaced. Thanks again everyone for the input. Very helpful.

No worries - you can use 3/8" transmission cooler hose from NAPA. You'll need new clamps since the OEM ones won't fit properly.

1631662990707.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom