stuck parking brake lever (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I have a 99 LC. My parking brake lever is stuck in the down position. I won't budge. The cables to the brakes under the truck do not seem to be locked up. Any idea on what might be the hang up? Thanks Phil

If you're anywhere with salt or corrosion, the e-brake system is very susceptible. Esp. the cranks for the shoes, you get a dissimilar metals reaction there and things freeze up. Check the cable at the axle and then where it splits to each side.

I had the same thing, but in hi position, one day, somewhere in Utah, with temperature around 0°C.
I had to remove the pin behind the wheel (end of the main wire, right side)to be able to drive.
since this day, I never use this brake again.

Alright, I pulled the center console out of the LC today. What a PITA. The parking brake lever was good as new. The cable from the lever to the t on the back axle would not budge. Each of the parking brake levers on the back hubs moved, although, not a lot. Is is possible that the main cable bound up, it sure looks that way. What is needed to fix it? Do I need to replace the cable that runs from the lever to the t at the back axle? There are no parking brakes on the front hubs, correct? the reason I ask is a reference to front wheel parking brakes in the factory repair manual. Thanks Phil

I pulled the old cable and ordered a new one from toyotapartsonline, online price $54, over the counter price $90, go figure, they are both located at Mossy Toyota in Pacific Beach. Change out took about 2 hours with lots of detail work while the center console was out. Pretty straight forward, one bolt between the gas tank and the body was a little tight. Works like a champ. Dealer wanted $500 to do the job. Something tells me that they will get it from me soon, I think that I am hearing the water pump death growl...... 174k miles on the 99 Cruiser and still runs like a top (just changed out one O2 sensor $114). What a great truck! Still looks and runs like new. if my Land Rover were only so reliable. All the best Phil

Ugh, I fought this problem on many cars, bought one 80 with disabled hand-brake because of this. I never touch the parking brake, stopped using it on my manual-shift cars. I'll carry wheel chocks before I'll use the parking brake, it's an emergency brake in my cars.

I discovered the same problem with mine after trying to fix my loose handbrake lever. Basically once pulled the cable doesn't want to retract correctly. I tried soaking everything in pb blast, but made very little progress, I can move it maually, but not sure it will every move on it's own. Will chock the wheel also if I really have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom