Stuck on the fence of a 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last fall, I picked up a 2020 TRD Pro 4Runner. It's a good truck, but probably more adventure-oriented than me and my family really are at this stage (with a toddler). I have longed for a LC for some time, and we are trying to decide if we should pull the trigger on a 200 series family hauler. It's certainly a bit larger but we are most interested in the safety side of things with the full time 4x4.

So, we are either looking at a 2016 with 76k miles (upper $40s) or biting the bullet and getting a used 2019 for upper $60k. I would plan on keeping the truck for a while so I don't mind getting what makes the most sense for our family. I am just not sure if the $20k in price difference is worth the 60k difference in miles.

I realize 76k miles isn't anything for a LC, but it makes us nervous to have something out of warranty. If you were in my shoes, what would be crossing your mind?

And if you see a Blue/Terra combo out there, let me know :)

Blue/Terra is probably the hardest color combo to find. The blue is beautiful although as hard as black to keep clean.

It comes down to family budget on which truck to get. Obviously the older truck & higher the miles, the more you need to pay attention to how it was used & maintained.

I bought a 2016 in 2018 with 13k miles. I don’t ever plan to sell it. The 2016 will have the rear screens which many people don’t like...otherwise not a ton of difference between model years.

You’re gonna take a beating on your 2020 TRD Pro trade-in. You sure you want to do it in the first place? Yeah, you don’t have full-time 4wd but your 4runner does have VSC for on-road highway safety...full-time 4wd of LC200 makes it a little safer but it is not like your 4runner is a Pinto. How about getting more on-road oriented tire to offset lack of full-time 4wd? For example, I would consider buying Michelin Defender LT (best on-road truck tire IMO...tough enough for occasional off-road and great in bad weather) for your 4runner?

And your 4runner is a NEW vehicle that you bought from day one...that’s kinda nice feeling vs. buying a used vehicle.

Now, IF you were to jump to LC200, then i would buy the best LC that you can afford...without putting you in a financial black hole. I am kinda paranoid about job security with COVID still around.

2019 vs. 2016......2018+ LC200: KDSS bolt change, automatically power-folding outside mirrors, late-2018s have new radiator design, powered lift gate, non-mandatory rear entertainment, newer transmission software (flashable on 2016-2017), and new key design. (I have put potentially important stuff in bold.)

So, if those changes above sound amazing, then get 2019. If those changes sound superficial, then get 2016...if everything else being equal.

Last edited:
I've had a 4Runner, and liked it less than any of my Land Crusiers, but they're still awfully nice. I'd think you'd take a massive beating on selling or trading 1 year old vehicle. I was worried about that issue with ours, and my wife subsequently drove our 4Runner for three years (meanwhile, I got back into a Land Cruiser). You'll probably love the upgrade to a Land Cruiser.

And on the warranty thing, you can find Toyota CPO rigs with Toyota warranties. This 'mud crowd seems to be mixed on warranties, but if they give you peace of mind, they are available.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. Interestingly, I am only out about $4k on the 4runner and that's just with a Carvana offer...I guess the demand in the used market is really high. The biggest advantage I see from the 4runner part time 4x4 to the LC 4x4 is the winter highway driving I do. It is not uncommon to be traveling 70mph and then hitting a random pile of slush in the winter. It maybe my southern roots (now living in the midwest) but I have more peace of mind without having to throw a lever.

Plus, the slightly larger vehicle provides a little more space for the family. Interestingly, the rear screens in the 2016 are an appealing feature for the kiddo.

My other thought was to keep the 2020 4runner and pick up a 100 series, but not sure if we are a three car family.

I was in a similar situation with a growing family in 2019. Had a budget of around $40k, Initially set on a new 4runner (TRD trail) but liked the idea of having a 3rd row for those situations where car seats are taking up the 2nd row and need the extra seat belts. I am big fan of gas guzzling torque filled v8s and wasn’t impressed with the 4runners 6 cylinder. This led me to test drive the sequoia which felt too big but drove better then I anticipated. Not a worthy off roader but I liked that it would still be under warranty being that it would be such a large purchase for the family.
At this time I also started checking out the lx570 and land cruiser. I was surprised to see that the lx570s were generally $5,000-$10000 less then a comparable land cruiser.
After months of Research and test drives I found a local one owner California dealer serviced 2013 cruiser that never left the pavement. Initially it was difficult to rationalize spending new car money on a 6 year vehicle with 80,000 miles. After the test drive I was sold, its hard to believe how solid, well put together and durable the 200 series is.
Starting in 2013 there were a few updates to the 200 series that make it feel more modern then the earlier models (infotainment system, crawl control upgrade, safety features...etc).

I am now at 90k and it still drives like new, no rattles and squeaks. So far the only issue has been the radiator crack that is a common problem. Couldn’t be more happy with my decision to join the land cruiser community.

i would not be nervous buying a used land cruiser as long as it checks out with a good service history and no rust.

The TRD 4runners hold their value well, if you are able to upgrade to a cruiser with minimal hit to your pocket book I would say go for it. you will not regret making the change to the 200 series.

Oh...check for underbody rust on the 2016....

Was there a change post 2016?

No, just always check underbody rust on any old LCs esp if you’re shopping in the northern states.

08-15 LX is a great buy but when you break that 2016 barrier things change. They got so polarizing with that grille, got worse off-road due to the approach/departure angles, and that stupid joystick to run the infotainment. Terrible.

16+ landcruisers are a different thing.

OP I'd personally buy what makes sense financially that has AS LITTLE RUST AS POSSIBLE. Then do everything you can to keep it that way. These are incredible vehicles totally capable of being with you for the long haul, but they do have problems with bolts seizing and exhaust rusting, etc. Not to mention KDSS nightmares if you get one with that problem.

I agree $20k is a large difference. Knowing what I do about 200s I'd have no problem buying the higher-mileage one and pocketing the difference (as long as it isn't corroded). 20k will pay for a LOT of unexpected maintenance, of which landcruisers are well-known to have very little necessity.

The 18 without screens would be nice, but otherwise the differences are basically inconsequential (IMO). The older KDSS bolt design wouldn't bother me in the least if you find one that has a clean undercarriage. If you can find one in that state, it's easy enough to keep them operable with methods documented here.

Oh and the resale on those TRD Pros is insane! I've read about people getting a new one every year and it only costing them like $4k per year.

Thanks everyone. What’s the groups take on the rust from this 16?

AEC92A2C-394E-4DE6-A682-2192AE350F55.jpeg

82A23AE0-AC1B-462E-A707-CE408274BF14.jpeg

0D3AA013-A380-4C04-AAB1-1471A16FF153.jpeg

245A002E-F8F4-4318-BADC-91532100D12D.jpeg

OP just to clarify posts above regarding KDSS bolts on pre 2018 models: they are prone to rusting. This doesn’t affect performance at all...but if you ever want to put a lift on the vehicle these bolts have to be loosened, which can be a problem if they are severely rusted. Easy prevention is a coat of marine grease over the bolts, then you should never have a problem.

Regarding your pics above, it’s definitely a northern truck. My Florida 2016 has no rust at all. I’ll leave to others whether that level of rust is a problem or is typical for a midwest vehicle.

OP just to clarify posts above regarding KDSS bolts on pre 2018 models: they are prone to rusting. This doesn’t affect performance at all...but if you ever want to put a lift on the vehicle these bolts have to be loosened, which can be a problem if they are severely rusted. Easy prevention is a coat of marine grease over the bolts, then you should never have a problem.

Regarding your pics above, it’s definitely a northern truck. My Florida 2016 has no rust at all. I’ll leave to others whether that level of rust is a problem or is typical for a midwest vehicle.

I wouldn’t worry about that level of surface rust at all. That’s easily coated in a preventer and will not get any worse.

Curious how close to the coast you are? Seems there are sections along the coast that are more susceptible to rust than others from the salty air?

Hi Wisluggo,

Just to jump in with the trade in price/selling price of a TRD PRO. And every market is differnt but I am in Florida. I own a 2020 Army green trd pro 4runner and these things dont depreciate or do so very little in special colors. I am actually putting mine up for sale next week and asking $52k or so, and I will get it. The army green is very sough after and min is in perfect condition. I was actually offered $50k at the grocery store parking lot 2 months after I got it and was nice and said I wasnt interesting in selling. Anyway, again all markets are different and economy plays a role as well. I know I could sell my army green for $50k tonight with multiple offers. I just wanted to throw that out there for you. The TRD pros are very special vehicles!! Good luck!

Toyota is learning to market like the Big 3.

Amazing what people will do for some plastic and paint. Stunning really.

The TRD Pro’s are not special at all. Nothing on them is unique or cannot be purchased aftermarket. They don’t even have a different drivetrain.

I would venture to say that my V8 4Runner from 2007 is far more special than an army green or FDE V6 truck found today. Far more usable power that doesn’t drive like the underpowered 5th gen V6s.

Last edited:
Agree, fantastic marketing but in fariness, the TRD Pro is highly capable out of the box and 4runners are getting up there in price as it is. Price creep is real.
Perfect exaple is no one blinks an eye spending $60k on a chevy Tahoe. When did the tahoe cost $60k, are you kidding. But its the norm now, price creep and inflation coupled w new tech, new safety, etc and new model redesign and bam, you now have a $60k plus chevy tahoe!

Toyota is learning to market like the Big 3.

Amazing what people will do for some plastic and paint. Stunning really.

The TRD Pro’s are not special at all. Nothing on them is unique or cannot be purchased aftermarket. They don’t even have a different drivetrain.

I would venture to say that my V8 4Runner from 2007 is far more unique than an army green or FDE V6 truck found today.

The TRD Pro is special IMO because you can buy it straight from factory with those high quality parts...with factory warranty and quality control vs. aftermarket unknown/installers. How many aftermarket vendors do R&D and endurance/safety testing on the stuff they sale for that particular vehicle they are marketing to?

For example, Toyota had to retune Tacoma TRD Pro FOX suspension because 2020 Tacoma rims were 5 lbs lighter each. That is something you do not get from aftermarket vendors. But you do pay more $$ for TRD Pro...so, if you have the dough, then why not?

IMO, if you can get quality parts from Toyota vs. aftermarket, then i gladly pay the Toyota tax. :)

I wouldn’t worry about that level of surface rust at all. That’s easily coated in a preventer and will not get any worse.

Curious how close to the coast you are? Seems there are sections along the coast that are more susceptible to rust than others from the salty air?
I am in Tampa. I’m near Tampa Bay but no issue whatsoever with salt air. Those very close to the beach with daily seabreeze and salt air off the waves can face rust on all home fittings, and likely their car as well, but even then nothing like what northerners face with salted roads. Biggest issue is sun on paint, although my LC is garaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom