Stuck inner because of a broken axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.gacruisers.com
My dad finally broke an inner axle in his ball and claw front end. Now the inner axle is stuck inside the housing. We have pulled the knuckle off and the ball and claw off the passenger side to try to pull it out with no luck. We also pulled the drivers side out to see if we could beat it through the other side. It doesn't budge either way. I believe it's broke right at the splines in the diff but just enough where we cannot pull the third member out.

Anyone have any good ideas on getting it out? If not the next step may be cutting the front of the housing off to see inside and make it so he has a removable front cover like some others have done. He was hoping to drive it up to Tellico next weekend because its the opening weekend after the winter closer.

Do you have access to a very strong magnet or a 220v stick welder?

Yes we have a welder. The whole axel is stuck, tried pulling the claw end out but can't budge it.

Get a slide hammer.

Look at the slide hammer and figure out what pitch thread is on the end of it.

Get a nut that same thread pitch and weld it to the end of the axle shaft.

Thread the slide hammer into the nut and have at it.

Well of course after I post this morning it get it out. I first tried to drill and tap the axle, but I broke the tap. So instead I just welded a loop on the end of the claw and pried it out with a 4 foot piece of tube. Thanks for the help guys now I just need to get the last bit out of the third member. Here’s some pics if you wanted to see. Sorry for the cell phone pictures I don't have my camera with me.
0328081246a.jpg

0328081244.jpg

0328081246.jpg

We also pulled the drivers side out to see if we could beat it through the other side. It doesn't budge either way.

This really doesn't work on the front end. On the rear you pull the cover, then the shaft the spider gear and block run on, remove spider gears, block, pull C clips by pushing both axles in, remove side gear of undamaged shaft, pull that axle shaft out and you have a clear shot at the other axle. The front end doesn;t have the block that keeps the C clips in but does have the shaft and spider gears. Pulling the axle shaft and trying to drive the other one out will probably just damage the spider gear shaft.

John

This would be a good excuse to upgrade to fine spline axles and Birfields, unless you have a collectors item.

This would be a good excuse to upgrade to fine spline axles and Birfields, unless you have a collectors item.

Yeah it' not much of a collectors item and I am trying to talk my dad into upgrading to mini truck birfs but he likes his ball and claws. He has used them for the last 3 years and this is the first problem he has had with the front end. Lock right in the front, Chevy 350, and 35 inch tires. He is pretty light on the skinny pedal though.

GSMTR2007011.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom