Stuck in Summit County, FJ80 won't start! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yendrabuilt.com
Packed up this morning in Frisco, planned on heading out to do some wheeling for the day in my '91 FJ80, cranks and cranks, doesn't fire. Definitely seems like fuel delivery. Before we left Ft. Collins on Sunday, I dumped some fuel system cleaner in the full tank. I imagine I broke up enough gunk to clog the fuel filter. NAPA in town has one in stock, attempting to parking lot fix it with limited tools. I should also mention I'm on my honeymoon with my so far very patient wife!

Questions:
What tools are needed?
Anything else I should check?
Anyone in Summit Co I could possibly borrow tools from if needed?

Thanks!

Check the fuel pump fuse under the hood. Check all of your fuses first. This image is from a 94:
Fusebox.jpg

Check the fuel pump fuse under the hood. Check all of your fuses first. This image is from a 94:
Fusebox.jpg
Will check it out. I will add that it didn't want to start when I shut it off after a long climb in low two days ago. Figured it could've been due to the fuel vaporizing in the lines. Let it sit for 10min, started right up. It also happened one other time when I shut it off waiting for a train, train passed, wouldn't start, waited 5-10, fired right up.

Have you checked your fusible links? I have personally had mine blow in my fzj80 and a friend of mine was stranded in his fj80 because of it. Cranks but wont start because the injectors are being powered. In you need to get by in a pinch, you can splice the 2 fusible link ends together with an inline blade fuse available just about anywhere. I did this and as long as you use a small fuse (7.5 amp or so) you should be fine.

I think fuel line returns to tank so difficult for it to vapor lock?
There is a fuel sock in the tank (under rear seats) that filters before fuel gets to the fuel filter (in engine bay, rumored to be PIA to change).

I think fuel line returns to tank so difficult for it to vapor lock?
There is a fuel sock in the tank (under rear seats) that filters before fuel gets to the fuel filter (in engine bay, rumored to be PIA to change).
Its not likely the fuel sock, its pretty hard to clog. I would suggest that its electrical. There is a chance that your fuel pump relay is going south, or there is a short on the injector lines.

If it's the filter instead of replacing it since you're on the road, I would try just tapping it a few times to see if you can knock some stuff loose, it's worked for me before.

Post up on Rising Sun for real time help - may be somebody in your vicinity who can lend another set of eyes, tools, etc.

image.jpeg
Have you checked your fusible links? I have personally had mine blow in my fzj80 and a friend of mine was stranded in his fj80 because of it. Cranks but wont start because the injectors are being powered. In you need to get by in a pinch, you can splice the 2 fusible link ends together with an inline blade fuse available just about anywhere. I did this and as long as you use a small fuse (7.5 amp or so) you should be fine.
Starting fluid did nothing. Unplugged the EFI relay and 15amp fuse, plugged back in, started, but ran rough. It now runs fine.

Any way to check the relay? Or should I swing back to NAPA and replace?

View attachment 1325194
Starting fluid did nothing. Unplugged the EFI relay and 15amp fuse, plugged back in, started, but ran rough. It now runs fine.

Any way to check the relay? Or should I swing back to NAPA and replace?
Do you have a multi-meter?

It could just be something as simple as dirty connectors too. Unplugging the EFI relay will reset the ECU, which is why it runs rough and then smooths out as it relearns. Its the fuel pump relay I was thinking about. I will admit to not knowing the electrical systems of the 3f as well as the 1fz though.

Pull the relay, note the part # find one on the rig from an less critical application, like the windows, and swap them. If that solves the problem, then worry about getting a new one. When it wont start, the first thing to look for is; with the key to run, is the CDL lit, if not there is no power to the ECU.

Yes, now enjoy your honeymoon to the fullest extent possible. ;)

Umm, more pics of the bride please ? :hillbilly:

I'm glad someone else said it :eek:

Yeah, well I know y'all were thinking it.....:flipoff2:

All I can say is that the OP got a keeper there. New bride going camping for a honeymoon is alright in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom