Stuck in low mode- Pogo Sticking - Worth having mechanic check the pump/height sensors or just rip and replace AHC system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Esteemed Gentlemen of the Mudless Forum,

My '02 has 104,000 miles on it and on the way home from the golf course today I noticed I was stuck in low mode even though the indicator says it's in neutral and I was "pogo sticking" on the bumps. No error lights on the dash. Fluid level looked good when I got home after driving on the high way. Drove fine except for the height.

I checked the forum and the wisdom seems to be to rip out the AHC system and replace it when you get any amount of trouble.

However, my vehicle was garage kept until I got it at ~89,000 miles and I had my mechanic who I trust (mostly) do the 120k service last summer and go over it with a fine tooth comb.
He said all the lines looked good, no rust, nothing major he could see on the horizon.

I'm thinking that either my pump, or my height sensors are going bad. I also took it through the car wash the other day and selected the undercarriage wash ( I was feeling fancy), something I usually don't do-possibly water/ dirt getting in the sensor body?

My question is- Would I be better off ripping and replacing the entire AHC now? Or considering my vehicle's relatively young life, could I get a new motor and/or sensors and still be under the cost of what a total replace would be?

For the record, I'm in a high COL area, I don't have the space/tools to do anything major myself, and I only have one vehicle so I don't mind paying someone to do the job right if it means I sleep better (this is the part where you can call me names for not doing the work myself, if you like).

Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

Many will say “just rip it out, xxx springs and shocks are much better”.
My opinion is that they are wrong. The AHC system isn’t that complicated, and my old truck had 520.000kms (325.000 miles) on it on salted roads with only a few and inexpensive problems.
Mine actually did almost the same, except it stalled in high mode, and was hard as a brick.
The reason was one sensor that was defectice. I found a used one for $10 and that fixed it.
But spurred me to learn the system.
If you spend a bit of time understanding it, it isn’t hard or expensive to maintain or repair.
So get the sensors checked (Techstream), get new rear springs, have the torsion bars adjusted to spec and enjoy!

Esteemed Gentlemen of the Mudless Forum,

My '02 has 104,000 miles on it and on the way home from the golf course today I noticed I was stuck in low mode even though the indicator says it's in neutral and I was "pogo sticking" on the bumps. No error lights on the dash. Fluid level looked good when I got home after driving on the high way. Drove fine except for the height.

I checked the forum and the wisdom seems to be to rip out the AHC system and replace it when you get any amount of trouble.

However, my vehicle was garage kept until I got it at ~89,000 miles and I had my mechanic who I trust (mostly) do the 120k service last summer and go over it with a fine tooth comb.
He said all the lines looked good, no rust, nothing major he could see on the horizon.

I'm thinking that either my pump, or my height sensors are going bad. I also took it through the car wash the other day and selected the undercarriage wash ( I was feeling fancy), something I usually don't do-possibly water/ dirt getting in the sensor body?

My question is- Would I be better off ripping and replacing the entire AHC now? Or considering my vehicle's relatively young life, could I get a new motor and/or sensors and still be under the cost of what a total replace would be?

For the record, I'm in a high COL area, I don't have the space/tools to do anything major myself, and I only have one vehicle so I don't mind paying someone to do the job right if it means I sleep better (this is the part where you can call me names for not doing the work myself, if you like).

Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
Well Gents,

I fingered it out. Turned the wheel and sure enough the threaded rod had snapped. Picture attached

It's obvious to me how this happened.

Sabotage.

Maybe it was my neighbor who drives the BMW x7 (people who have more money than sense often act maliciously out of jealousy)

Maybe it was the hippy chick down the street who always gives me the evil eye for my poor gas mileage (or the fact that I turned down her advances).

Whoever it was, it can mean only one thing.

War.

20210328_192822.jpg

I used some duct tape to try and reconnect the rod and sure enough, it works again.

Now the question is do I buy a whole new unit, or try to just replace the threaded rod and hope for the best?

Replacing the threaded rod shouldn't be a problem. You can purchase the entire link without the sensor OR fabricate a new one with some threaded rod and a few nuts. The whole link is 80 dollars and the threaded rod I I have in my head would be cheap, maybe 20 bucks in hardware.

Replacing the threaded rod shouldn't be a problem. You can purchase the entire link without the sensor OR fabricate a new one with some threaded rod and a few nuts. The whole link is 80 dollars and the threaded rod I I have in my head would be cheap, maybe 20 bucks in hardware.
I'll take the one in your head.
$20 is a fair price, I am well versed in brain surgery. I can promise you that I can have it removed on your lunch break.
I'll even throw in free stitches and anesthetic since you've been such a pal.
Whaddaya say?

I'll take the one in your head.
$20 is a fair price, I am well versed in brain surgery. I can promise you that I can have it removed on your lunch break.
I'll even throw in free stitches and anesthetic since you've been such a pal.
Whaddaya say?
I'm down for that, but brain surgery scares me, you know, since the incident...

Anyways sorry to hold out but it was more because I was looking for specifics and I of course haven't found any nor am I near my rig. However you should just need a section of threaded m5 or m6 rod (I am not actually sure what thread diameter it is) and two jam nuts if you don't know anyone who welds or one if you do. Cut the rod to size matching the link you remove from the ends, thread the two jam nuts on and back them into each other for the center hex. Presto! New link.

If you are really good you could even get them close and measure the length of adjustment and bring it right back where the ride height adjustment was set, negating a dealer visit or an ordering of techstream.

However, I am a self proclaimed idiot. Some great vendor out there may be selling the part you need without the purchase of the whole assembly. I am not aware of anyone who is, but I'm sure somebody will chime in soon. When I get back to my rig Wednesday night I will measure the diameter for you.

Clearly you must sue the raw aluminum supplier that the pressure washer nozzle was made of that sprayed too hard underneath your rig and snapped that bolt. Because 'Murica

Clearly you must sue the raw aluminum supplier that the pressure washer nozzle was made of that sprayed too hard underneath your rig and snapped that bolt. Because 'Murica
Thank you this was also my first thought.
Does the forum have a preferred law firm which offers us a discount based on our forum clout?

Thank you this was also my first thought.
Does the forum have a preferred law firm which offers us a discount based on our forum clout?

I use Jackie Chiles.

Its a shame you aren't closer. I think I may have an extra one - which side is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom