Stuck in 4WD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FJ 60 still stuck in 4 high. Can't get out despite weeks of unlocking hubs, driving in reverse and all the usual methods of unlocking. Any suggestions before I take it to Cruiser shop?

Assuming you can't move the shifter back to 2wd position. I think the teeth on the clutch hub have to line up with the splines on the output shaft for the shift shaft to move the clutch hub to 4wd and back to 2wd. With your front hubs locked, slightly roll a couple feet forward or rearward and try shifting again. Do this until you can shift it. Once the teeth are lined up with the splines it should go pretty easy.

Can you give a little more information? Like--mechanical shift or vacuum shift? what does the shifter feel like--stuck hard or it moves but the truck stays in 4wd? Have you inspected the linkage?

how long has it been in 4wd?

He has a FJ60 so manual shift. If the hubs have not been rebuilt in years then it could be an issue of the hub clutch not returning to 'open' when the dial is turned.

When people rebuild their hubs it is easy to confuse how to assemble the springs in there. If someone assembled incorrectly then it may have been in 4Hi the whole time.

Mechanical shift. Hubs never rebuilt. Been in 4wd for 6 weeks mostly sitting. Original owner. I will try suggestions and let you know. Thanks for all the help. Mike

Mechanical shift. Hubs never rebuilt. Been in 4wd for 6 weeks mostly sitting. Original owner. I will try suggestions and let you know. Thanks for all the help. Mike
There is a pitman arm on top of the transfercase that all the linkage connects too. On my 1983 fj60 the nut under the arm came loose and allowed the linkage rod to drop down and lock it into low range. After splitting the transfercase, it was obvious what had happened. You cant see the nut without a mirror. Good luck!

There is a pitman arm on top of the transfercase that all the linkage connects too. On my 1983 fj60 the nut under the arm came loose and allowed the linkage rod to drop down and lock it into low range. After splitting the transfercase, it was obvious what had happened. You cant see the nut without a mirror. Good luck!
Yes, but he says its stuck in 4H, Not in low. there are 2 different shift shafts on the t-case.. The 4H to 2H linkage is in the front of the transfer case and moves horizontally front to rear. the H to N to L is on the top. BUT ...I think his shifter is stuck in 4H and he can't physically move it to 2H. But I guess he probably can move it from 4H to N and to 4L.

1619270287345.png

Shop was able to get it out of 4wd. Linkage was all rusted and stuck. Hopefully with lubrication this will solve it. Now to start on the body rust!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom