stuck egr valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all. this is my first post. thanks to all those big brains out there on these forums i found out my egr valve is stuck (i think). i'm getting 8 mpg, failed smog test (very high THC, high NOX). just realized PO unplugged vacuum line from bottom of egr vacuum modultor. now i know why. runs crappy with it plugged in. put vacuum directly to egr valve while running, nothing changed.

my question is...can i unstick my egr valve manually? ( i tried working it with a little carb cleaner and vacuum)

a new egr from man-a-fre is 180 bucks!

thanks a ton

84fj60, 249k,2f. just bought it from original owner. garaged, but driven daily for 21 years. all stock, no rust.

welcome newbie

you may be able to take off the EGR and soak it.
keep spraying carb or brake cleaner in it and let it soak.

hope it works,and i hope on right on this.
not sure if you can dip it in a carb tank.

Click Here

Welcome. If you can't get it working, you can get a used one at this link.

Pb Blaster

I went through the same thing.

1- Soak everything in PB or your lubricant of choice.
2- Get it off and be amazed at the amount of crud in the EGR valve.
3- Install a new gasket.

Pretty easy but dirty as all get out. Watch the hose that attaches to the exahaust manifold. It will break. And if it looks like anything might snap, just buy a spare from cruiser parts. They sold me one for under $25 (I think) - they are great folks and had the parts at my door in 3-days.

One other thing that has been reahashed on this board a million times but is true- replace your vacume hoses, by now they are crap.

i'll try it, thanks

just replaced all the vacuum hoses. that's a great way to find your way around a new engine. i've never seen such a mess of hoses with holes, disconnected ones with golf tees in the end, and one that was the consistancy of chewed up gum and collapsed.

i'm gonna order a used egr with the hose just in case. 40 bucks sounds good compared to the 180 for a new one.

thanks for the tips

if you soak the EGR valve........it will be toast for sure, the rubber diaphram will be eaten from the solvent. Yes if you remove the EGR and clean just the ports that is OK.....but don't spray anything like a solvent on the diaphram

you should be able to take something from the bottom of the ERG and push the diaphram closed......if nothinging changes then the diaphram is prolly torn. Time for a new EGR.

personaly I wouldn't mess with a used EGR.......they are such a PITA to replace(like busted bolts and crap) that a new one will give you YEARS of trouble free driving

i second the Pimp.... just go new OEM if you plan on keeping the rig for a while as you have zero idea of how long the diaphram of a used one is going to last or how fatigued it is upon receipt.

-db-

bigbrown said:
failed smog test (very high THC, high NOX).

You gotta watch that high THC :grinpimp:

Sorry the door was open.

Like what was said clean carefully on the exhaust side and if that doesn't free it Replace.

I would never pass :D

sanjuancruiser said:
You gotta watch that high THC :grinpimp:

Sorry the door was open.

Like what was said clean carefully on the exhaust side and if that doesn't free it Replace.

weird

i did think it was kinda weird when they put that hose with the big cone on the end over my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom