Stuck Bolt...now what?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rebuilt the knuckles. Drained diff fluid before rebuild. Now I am trying to refill it and the damn bolt won't come out. Of course, I stripped it trying to get it out. Now what? Lay the truck on her side and fill it from the drain plug?

Anyone have a trick to get the damn fill plug out?

You are not the first one...search will give you many examples. Options I remember off hand include:
Vise grips
Weld a nut onto the plug
Sand in your socket
6 point socket instead of 12 point
Hammer and chisel
Hit it with a BFH (you'll feel better)

Soak it w/penetrating oil no matter what option strikes your fancy.

For penatrating oil, I love Kroil.

Kinda need to know what you have available for tools.

If you have a welder, just weld a bolt to it, then use this to back it out.

If not, leave the hubs unlocked, put it all back together, drive it to a welding shop and have them do it.

Got air? Got cutoff tool? If so, slice a slot in it, put a BIG screwdriver in the slot, crank on it with a wrench.

I know this is a little late, but for all of those reading this thread and wanting to change your diff fluids.....

remove the fill plug FIRST. then drain the fluids. The point here is if you can't get the fill plug removed, at least your diff won't be empty. Not as big of a deal with the front diff, but definately a big deal on the rear diff. Also, always use a 6 pt socket on this bolt head.

My suggestion at this point is what other above have said. Spray it with a real penetrating lube like kroil or PB blaster and take another shot at it, you'll probobly have to use some serious vice grips.

See if you can debur the edges a little and get a 6 point socket in it. Find an impact socket if you can and tap it on. With the penetrating oil and a breaker bar It will come off. Make sure to keep the socket squarely on the bolt when you turn.

We did this on a clubmate's 62.
Turned out the PO put new, non-metric fillplugs in the diffs.
An impact screwdriver with the correct socket made it a little easier to get w/the breaker bar.

I had the same problem with both diff's as someone here suggested. Just weld another bolt to it and you should be good to go. I also made sure that before I drained the fluid, the fill plug would be loose Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom