Stuck birfield / oil seal questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Assuming it's a stock, open diff (or not), the axle shafts engage the side gears which sends the rotation of the ring and pinion out to the wheels. It seems the general consensus is your axle splines are twisted or otherwise bound up in the side gear. I would be surprised if an 8mm bolt will be enough to do the job. It's unusual for the twist to occur inboard of the side gear, but if twist is severe enough there may be too much pressure on the splines for them to slide in or out.
If drilling and tapping for a bolt doesn't work you may end up welding on something more substantial for a better bite, and some hydraulic help. Worst case will require some invasive surgery.

Out of curiosity, stock 2F engine?

Yes. I’m currently trying to bust out the oil seal

do you still have the roughly 1/2" in/out play on the shaft?

Busted out the seal and got a little more play

DCF3D784-1604-46D7-AA7A-0A6156E5F7DF.jpeg
3B985770-8B09-4FBD-AC69-01D1C2228907.jpeg

Nothing like the satisfaction of victory! Congratulations.

How about a close up of the splines.

Surprisingly they look ok? The photos are take 180deg apart. Further investigation required. I'm going to clean everything up and take a look.

IMG_5643.jpeg
IMG_5644.jpeg

Looks like your lucky day. For the price of a diff gasket you may want to pull the third member and give it a look. You're 95% there now.

seemed really strange that you appeared to get 1-2 inches of additional in-out play (out at least) when you removed the axle seal. Almost like it wasn't binding on the inner splines (which are only like 1-1.25" long)? And now they look fine once it's out? I'd definitely pop the diff out to get a look at the side gear insides

Yeah I'm not sure whats going on yet.. The axle really wanted to bind against the front-side of the seal at the knuckle. The housing doesn't look bent enough to have caused the problem; just looking inside I do not see any gross deformation. Will post updates.

X2 on pulling the diff

seemed really strange that you appeared to get 1-2 inches of additional in-out play (out at least) when you removed the axle seal. Almost like it wasn't binding on the inner splines (which are only like 1-1.25" long)? And now they look fine once it's out? I'd definitely pop the diff out to get a look at the side gear insides

I think its something in the diff.. I can pass the axle smoothly in the axle housing until it meets the side gear in the diff. As it engages the whole axle is being forced forward. This must have put excess pressure on the inner oil seal, causing it fail. Story is not over but it's interesting to figure out why things fail.

any odd tire wear?

Pulled the diff. Overall looks ok to my untrained eye. Will keep looking.

7535B728-905C-4230-AA74-11778E6B6697.jpeg

B6394961-A9C3-427A-9963-AE9986A528AC.jpeg

Did ya roll the inner axle on a flat surface to see if its bent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom