stuborn 3rd member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
trying to take the third member apart from my rear axle housing. took all the bolts out and wailed on it with a deadblow hammer and it wouldn't come off. i'm sure its probably never been removed. any tips? ???

If it is still in the truck gently lift on the 3rd with a jack and they should separate.

sitting on floor under truck. taking apart to start work on link suspension

Cold chizel right on the line and BFH .... just did that last weekend ... gona do it again tonight :cheers:

thanks kling-on, will bring out the bfh tonight.

[quote author=tewlman link=board=1;threadid=12954;start=msg119480#msg119480 date=1079037647]
thanks kling-on, will bring out the bfh tonight.
[/quote]

and the cold chizel :cheers:

Pickup the axle, drop it between the front frame rails, pointing the third member down. Make sure you put lots of sacrificial cardboard boxes, styrofoam, etc. underneath to cushion the third when it comes off.

Dave

as i grunt and scratch my head?

C'mon, with the axles and drums off you should be able to pick it up.

You did take off the axle shafts out first, didn't you? :D

Dave

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=1;threadid=12954;start=msg119601#msg119601 date=1079047009]
C'mon, with the axles and drums off you should be able to pick it up.

You did take off the axle shafts out first, didn't you? :D

Dave
[/quote]

yes.....i was refering to that being a little caveman style for me.

On the rear I pulled the carrier out and used a brass drift and BFH next to the carrier bearing supports. It took a few good blows to get it apart. Wait till you try the front....no place to hit it

nocents

This is a tough problem-much easier when the axle is still in the truck. They can be very tight. You may have to do the cold chisel thing, just be careful. If it's stuck that tight, I doubt dropping it 3rd down between the frame rails will work, but make sure you video the attempt, since carnage will follow.

Toyota paper gaskets are stronger than F*rd third member bolts, don't you love it!

There is *usually* a flat surface somplace on the diff that does not line up perfectly with the axle housing,(on the top or the bottom) that will permit you to drive it off the housing using a very large combination prybar/chisel(screwdriver) and a large hammer...have done this A LOT.

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=1;threadid=12954;start=msg119747#msg119747 date=1079060673]
This is a tough problem-much easier when the axle is still in the truck. They can be very tight. You may have to do the cold chisel thing, just be careful. If it's stuck that tight, I doubt dropping it 3rd down between the frame rails will work, but make sure you video the attempt, since carnage will follow.
[/quote]

We did this actually on a forklift but we keep the forks much closer to the ground.

Dave

ok, chisel and my favorite 4 lb hammer got it apart in like two minute :)
thanks for the input guys, another forum happy ending :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom