Struts-Springs_Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eighteen11R

1811SAR
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking at Bilstein 5100 strut replacements for our leaking OEMs. Which are the better application for the build; Tacoma or 4Runner Springs? Has anyone had any problems with Eibach? Is OME the better way to go for the coil overs? I've asked the same question over on the FJC Forum but the MUD clan has time tested experience in TOYO suspensions too.

Cheers mates,
G

Depends on your goals. Keep 'stock'ish? Lift? Level? Added or adding any weight to the truck? Want it to ride like stock or no?

If its just stock and you want to keep it so, I recommend the 5100s. 3rd notch if you want to level it out or 2nd notch to have some rake, and then just keep on driving it!

If you want new springs I would look into a full OME or Dobinson kit...something like that. Wont ride quite as plush as the uber soft stockers, but I have not heard many complaints when the right springs are used.

And keep in mind the FJC has different springs for left and right to keep the side to side level. A dealer swapped them when I changed shocks and have had lean issues ever since.

2013FJ4x4frontcoilcolorcodingCustom_zps3a670417.jpg

Thanks @iwashmycar I want to remain stock for now. My daughter is going to be running it to/from high school and around town. I'm being advised Bilstein is the TOYO OEM shock provider. Have you heard that? Is that fact?

Interesting bit of information about the leaning @GWcruiser :hmm: Are there separate part numbers for the left and right side springs? I've been advised to swap out a fully assembled set of coil-overs and the reseller I'm working with only lists one number for the 5100 series strut cartridges. As far as springs, I'm leaning towards the Tacoma listed springs over the 4Runner as the cost associated is less? I assumed you will have to pay more for a more progressive rate spring set-up, but I don't know, this is my first FJ and only my second TOYO platform.

I having difficulty following your pics @GWcruiser. Is that a pic of the springs, top being front and bottom being rear? Did you add those paint marks or is that from TOYO? Was that a before the dealer swapped them or after pic? If the dealer moved things around and you know what you know about leaning issues, why didn't you go back to the dealer to get them correctly re-positioned?

I guess I really need to take a closer look at our current set-up. 🧐

Thanks again very much for the inputs. Please keep them coming here as I'd like to do it right the first time if I can. I found four better stock wheels so out of 9 total, we should be able to get 5 that look nice. The Falken Wildpeak A/Ts are ordered to wrap things up. I had very good luck with the A/Ts on my Excursion and have heard it echoed by several Hundy MUDrs here.

This is really appreciated...:cheers:

Cheers mates,
G

I probably wouldn't even worry about springs. The Trail Teams truck and Offroad package trucks did come with Bilsteins stock, but they were not the 5100 series ones. They were non-adjustable silver body/ blue dust guard. 07 TRD had Bilsteins that were red with a blue dust guard. Not sure if you can even find those anymore, but no need as the 5100s are great. The "normal" trucks had all black Tokico struts and shocks.

The driver side front spring has an extra coil in it to account for the battery and gas tank being on the driver side.

I have no idea about how the Taco or 4Runner springs compare or what the point is. I do know if you get 3rd gen (newest) Tacoma strut assemblies they will level the front out as they are longer.

Those are left and right (driver/passenger) spring color codes, from the factory - all stock springs have them. Left and Right front spring are radically different with different part numbers. Similar color codes are on the rear springs, but last time I checked both have the same part number: so no clue why mine have different colors on them. Note that I have reinstalled the fronts on the proper sides, and the lean remains. So I really suspect the rear springs also have a roll in the lean.

ps: here's a link to an earlier thread: FJC - Stock Front Spring Query

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom