• Bilstein

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • OEM

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

been a while since ive posted (so long that i had to create a new user account because i couldnt figure out the old one) last time around i had an fj60. i recently sold my 99 4runner and bought a 99 100 series LC. Love the truck so far. ANYWAY I've been researching struts for the last few days and have decided that really there are only 2 sets of shocks out there.. the bilstein 4600's and the OME's. I have 33's on the truck and no lift yet, i plan on getting a small lift in the future but sticking with the same size tires. I really was looking for the bilstein 5100's but it doesn't seem that they are made for this truck? anyway. im looking to buy today or tomorrow so i can get them on this weekend. Does anyone know if the 5100's are made for the ujz100? and if not, why are the 4600's so damn expensive now? are the OME's any good. ive heard a ton of mixed reviews, " you need the ome springs to match these" "they are softer than the 4600's" etc. i HATE the oem struts and how it feels like im riding around in a cadillac. i love the rough bounce feeling bumps and feeling the road feeling. my other ride is a 335i on coil-overs :)

sorry for the rant. thanks for the help!

I'm running the OME shocks, along with the OME springs. It's ideal for me, it reduced body roll around corners, but it's still comfy over a rough road.

It doesn't have the rough bounce over bumps of a really tight suspension, so it may not be aggressive enough for your tastes.

I'm running the OME shocks, along with the OME springs. It's ideal for me, it reduced body roll around corners, but it's still comfy over a rough road.

It doesn't have the rough bounce over bumps of a really tight suspension, so it may not be aggressive enough for your tastes.

Are you running the classic's or the sports? did you move from the OEM's to the OME's? also I'm ok with being comfy but the body roll is really bad as it sits now. I was under the truck yesterday and noticed that the struts are VERY old. moving to anything will probably be a 100x improvement. I just dont understand why the 4600's are double the price they were a few years back and why i cant seem to find a compatible part number for the 5100's

You're also missing King and Icon from your consideration list.

You're also missing King and Icon from your consideration list.

I've had Icon on a vehicle before and while they are nice, they are very pricey ha ha. I guess i should add im looking for something at a medium price point with room for a small lift in the future. i really was expecing 75 bucks a corner, the cheapest i see the 4600's are on 4wheel parts.com for 460 a set. Right now this is my drive up to flagstaff / sunrise to go snowboarding and play around in the snow and this summer it may become more of a hit some small trails and go camping truck :) at this point i don't have any plans on doing any seriously technical rock climbing or anything crazy.

Everywhere i read people are posting about the 4600's like "I too got them from autozone for about $60/corner last year. Best deal I could find." I don't understand how they've doubled in price the last few years. the 5100's seem reasonable still but i cant find a compatible part number anywhere.

Many options really:

King
Radflo
Icon
Fox
TJM
toughdog
Ironman
OME
Bilstien- would be my last choice

Check out Tough Dog

Are you running the classic's or the sports? did you move from the OEM's to the OME's? also I'm ok with being comfy but the body roll is really bad as it sits now. I was under the truck yesterday and noticed that the struts are VERY old. moving to anything will probably be a 100x improvement. I just dont understand why the 4600's are double the price they were a few years back and why i cant seem to find a compatible part number for the 5100's

Yes I went from OEM shocks/springs with 90k soccer mom miles on them. And when I say the OME kit is comfy I don't mean mushy - I thought the OEM suspension was mushy with too much body roll. I drive pretty fast in the mountains and the tighter suspension makes a huge difference for cornering. And I don't know about classic vs sports - I got the kit from Slee and they're calling the shocks "60000" and "60002", one pair for the front and one pair for the back.

It sounds like you want to spend no more than a few hundred bucks so it may not work for you right now to spend $1200 on the OME lift kit. I must say it's the best money i've spent so far on this truck, it completely changed the driving feel for me.

Many options really:

King
Radflo
Icon
Fox
TJM
toughdog
Ironman
OME
Bilstien- would be my last choice

Checking these out now too.

Check out Tough Dog

Also this one.
Yes I went from OEM shocks/springs with 90k soccer mom miles on them. And when I say the OME kit is comfy I don't mean mushy - I thought the OEM suspension was mushy with too much body roll. I drive pretty fast in the mountains and the tighter suspension makes a huge difference for cornering. And I don't know about classic vs sports - I got the kit from Slee and they're calling the shocks "60000" and "60002", one pair for the front and one pair for the back.

It sounds like you want to spend no more than a few hundred bucks so it may not work for you right now to spend $1200 on the OME lift kit. I must say it's the best money i've spent so far on this truck, it completely changed the driving feel for me.

Id love to get the lift and everything now but still recouping the money i just spent on the truck :) if i could hold off i would but im pretty sure these are the original struts for the truck... they look OLD. and ride worst than they look haha.

Looking at the TJM golds, they look like the best bang for the buck and they are on sale now at summit. I have never heard of them but seems like everyone loves them. im probably going to end up with those, shows suitable for a 2in lift as well.

well looks like they tjm are discontinued.. hence the low price. only had 3 of the 4 available and they were not shipping until next month for some reason.. back to square 1.

You could do the OME Sports on all four corners and save the lift for later. I have the Sports (and 865 springs in the rear), and it's definitely stiff, though not "dump truck" stiff like the 60. Anything you do will be an improvement over 18 year old originals. Including just replacing them with new toyota shocks (around $40 each) while you save.

Slee makes a GREAT set of shocks for these trucks as well that compare with (rebuildable, tuneable, nitrogen charged, etc.) the offerings from King, Icon, Radflow, Fox, etc. I would absolutely buy them again if I had reason to.

You could do the OME Sports on all four corners and save the lift for later. I have the Sports (and 865 springs in the rear), and it's definitely stiff, though not "dump truck" stiff like the 60. Anything you do will be an improvement over 18 year old originals. Including just replacing them with new toyota shocks (around $40 each) while you save.

So i went ahead and picked up the oem toyotas, ill end up swapping these out most likely when i do the lift but im thinking it probably will be night and day with even getting new oems, at 38 dollars a corner you cant beat that!

Slee makes a GREAT set of shocks for these trucks as well that compare with (rebuildable, tuneable, nitrogen charged, etc.) the offerings from King, Icon, Radflow, Fox, etc. I would absolutely buy them again if I had reason to.

i was looking at those, they looks pretty sweet!

I don't have a 100 series but I have Tough Dog 41mm foam cells on my 93 80 series with 2" dual rate Tough Dog springs. I had never heard of them until @reevesci mentioned them to me. He sells them. He also has a 100 series. Not sure if he has them on it or not. Anyway, I cannot say enough good things about them on my 80 series. Highly recommend. Reasonably priced. And @reevesci aka Jason aka Trail Tailor is a good dude.

So i went ahead and picked up the oem toyotas, ill end up swapping these out most likely when i do the lift but im thinking it probably will be night and day with even getting new oems, at 38 dollars a corner you cant beat that!
Good deal- stockers will work fine till you're ready to lift. Add some 33" AT tires remove the running boards and enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom