Strut Recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A leak was detected in the rear strut of the 2011 LC I just purchased last Fall. Likely original factory. Need some ideas of what I should replace it with. Running factory sized wheels and tires. Not really looking to get a lift, just want good suspension for daily driving and infrequent trail and snow driving in the mountains for recreation with family. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Stock suspension is very nice, tuned to the vehicle, and inexpensive. For a street car, definitely what I'd do. I put a set of new take off suspension from a '21 on a 100K '13 and it drove like a new vehicle.

Stock suspension is very nice, tuned to the vehicle, and inexpensive. For a street car, definitely what I'd do.
This. And takes about 20mins and no jack needed to install.. though a 21 or 22mm (can’t remember) flexible head ratcheting wrench and 2” fan clutch wrench helps a LOT.

I personally would do an OEM+ type upgrade. Too bad there's no factory option in the states. Closest IMO would be Bilstein's.

And do it in pair.

I personally would do an OEM+ type upgrade. Too bad there's no factory option in the states. Closest IMO would be Bilstein's.

Novice question: What does one get for OEM+ upgrades? What are the benefits?

Novice question: What does one get for OEM+ upgrades? What are the benefits?

In my mind, it would be something like an off-road or TRD version over the baseline trim. Something just a bit more aggressive or performance oriented. That still has that OEM level of balance, tuning, and durability.

While I don't have a LC200 with Bilstein's, I have used them in a number of my other cars including my Porsche and installed them in my friends GX and 4Rs. Bilstein has been a long time OEM supplier with OEM levels of development and tuning. That last part - tuning has more to it than what's acknowledged on these boards. I'll take a well developed and tuned static suspension any day over all these shiny adjustable race suspensions. Unless I were actually racing.

In my mind, it would be something like an off-road or TRD version over the baseline trim. Something just a bit more aggressive or performance oriented. That still has that OEM level of balance, tuning, and durability.

While I don't have a LC200 with Bilstein's, I have used them in a number of my other cars including my Porsche and installed them in my friends GX and 4Rs. Bilstein has been a long time OEM supplier with OEM levels of development and tuning. That last part - tuning has more to it than what's acknowledged on these boards. I'll take a well developed and tuned static suspension any day over all these shiny adjustable race suspensions. Unless I were actually racing.
That was super helpful. Thank you! Ever since learning LCs, all I heard about was old man EMU this and old man EMU that. Is that class of struts mainly if one were to install lifted springs or wanted to beef up other aspects of suspension?

That was super helpful. Thank you! Ever since learning LCs, all I heard about was old man EMU this and old man EMU that. Is that class of struts mainly if one were to install lifted springs or wanted to beef up other aspects of suspension?

Mainly just competitively priced and decent life. The rabbit hole goes very deep on suspension.. and astronmical in price.

Old Man EMU is a brand from ARB.

They have a less expensive Nitrocharger and a more fancy/adjustable BP-51.

I've run the Nitrocharger on 80 series. It was a good economical setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom