Structural or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The tubes that go from the side panels of the top into the tub have been
cut off. It was to make it easier to take the top off and on. See
attached. I wish somebody had just looked at it and loosened the striker
screws! Inside the tub is a tube diameter hole about 8" down.

So I am looking at them and thinking I should repair the
damage. I could turn extensions of the same outside diameter and put
a shoulder to make a sliding fit on the inside diameter of the stubs. I
would then secure the extensions with Loctite shaft sealant of JB weld.

Should I bother? Were the long tubes of structural importance?

Scot

DSCN0585.JPG

If you have the means, they should be put back in. They help locate the lower front corners of the top and provide flexural rigidity to that corner. Use tubing, same strength, lighter weight.

Why not weld them in?

I don't think I would trust JB Weld in this situation.

Welding would add no structural strength.

Those steel bars are machined to a sliding fit inside the tube stubs. They are longer than the tube stubs on the inside too. The only possible place they can go is for the bar to fall inside the B-pillar by gravity. JB is plenty strong for that. The side load is spread over about 5" of steel in the stub tube interior. The tube and steel bar were both cleaned and prepped. Aaaand, the door striker plate screws also prevents the bars from falling.

Welding would make a mess of my fresh paint job. I am tired of messing with paint. It would add zero strength.

I might add a pin and dress it off flush with the tube. I see no real reason though. IT is sort of like suspender and a belt.

The repaired assembly is now as strong as a 1" steel bar, because it is a 1" steel bar. Previously it was 1" cheap welded steel tube with a 0.050" wall.

I turned some mild steel bars. They fit snug inside the stubs and go past what you can see of the stubs. They also fit closely in the tub at both locations. I will glue them in with JB weld. The strength is much greater than original.

View attachment 3300964
Now, that is one strong bar. When I pulled mine out the original tube had a dent from the tightening screw. There is NO way that will happen here. Nice job.

I like the pin idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom