strrange wiper noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought an '82 FJ 60 last December. I really love it and it runs great but for one thing. The wipers make a real weird noise when set on intermittant. It's kind of a medium pitched squeal (EEEEH..EEEH........EEH) that comes out near (or from) the the air vent on the far left side of the dash. The noise kind of comes and goes but doesn't seem to have any relation to when the wiper blades are moving. Has anybody else ever experienced this? How can I fix it? It works fine (for now) except for the noise. It doesn't make a noise when the wipers are set to the fast or slow positions.

There is a mechanical gear-driven device under the DS dash near the firewall that controls the intermittent wipers. I think it is brown? It actually pops right out. Take the cover off and drop some high-grade oil (I used gun oil) to lubricate the plastic gears. Stops the noise. It's easy to find. Just turn on the wipers and listen for the whining.

sounds like the wiper relay. its located under the dash above the kick panel on the left side. look for a black box about 1 1/2 inch square. once you find it, turn the wipers on intermitant and grab the relay. if that is your problem you should be able to feel it vibrate when you hear the squeeling. mine did that when i first got it. went to the junk yard and picked up one from an '83 for $10. also, there is a way to take it apart and clean it out so that it will quit squeeling. i believe 60wag had a write-up on how to do this either on this board or cruizers.com
HTH.......

d'oh, looks like benji beat me to it. yeah, what he said (except mine is black).

Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions.
So, Ben. How are you liking Indiana?

Just put new wipers on last night and noticed the exact thing you guys are describing. I haven't driven it much till recently (got tired of pushing the truck around). I'll have to hack on it tonight, thanks.

Is there any photo's of this? I have the same problem and I am not very mechanically inclined in what to exactly look for.
Thanks!

Wiper relays available from CruiserParts.net. That is where I got mine. It's really an annoying sound. I'll have to check and see if I still have my old relay and see if I can clean it up.

What a difference!!

My relay has been BUZZING since I bought this 84. the 87 fj60 I had buzzed too. I just took the relay box apart and sylicon grease the shafts..totally quiet now.

Thanks for this post..

I'm in a part of OR where it does not rain much. That, and i'm a 60 owner that does not drive his rig much, so I don't use the wipers very often. when I did that Buzzing was nutz..Hot damn, MUD has saved me again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom