Strong spark to distributor, no spark from it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, Does anyone know of a list of things to check/steps to take if I have strong spark to the distributor and none from it? It's a nearly new distributor that was put in recently too. This is on a '97 FZJ80. Yesterday it started to idle a little rough, then it just gave up and wouldn't start after shut down. Engine cranks nicely. Thanks.

Can you tell us the process by which you determined this? It might help with the diagnosis.

Does your Check Engine light come on when you first turn the key to RUN?

Id agree with the other responses about cap and rotor. If it wasnt for the fact it ever started id also suggest that maybe the wires are on in the wrong spaces, or possible the timing is really far off causing the spark to be at a point where the rotor is not lining up.

Thanks for the replies. Turns out I was mistaken about spark (was too hasty in testing the first time). I DO have spark to the plugs. I DO have fuel out the return line from FPR. I DO have a check engine light when ignition on. Any ideas why it still cranks and won't start?

Thanks for the replies. Turns out I was mistaken about spark (was too hasty in testing the first time). I DO have spark to the plugs. I DO have fuel out the return line from FPR. I DO have a check engine light when ignition on. Any ideas why it still cranks and won't start?

I'd check for codes. Perhaps Crank Position Sensor or the TPS (throttle position sensor) but check all grounds and connections before you go any further.

Thanks for the replies. Problem solved, but now another BIG problem. Calls for a separate post.

Thanks for the replies. Problem solved, but now another BIG problem. Calls for a separate post.
What was the solution? Even if it was something self-inflicted? At least it closes the gap for others.

What was the solution? Even if it was something self-inflicted? At least it closes the gap for others.

Sure, sorry. Apparently the timing was out of whack with recent distributor replacement. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom