strong gasoline smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got in my 40 this morning and noticed a real strong smell of gasoline, even before I started the engine. After starting it and looking the truck over I noticed a wet spot around the drain plug under the gas tank on the underside of the truck. (I'm assuming it's a drain plug) There was also a wet spot on the frame. I was in a hurry to get to work as I had a meeting I absolutely had to be at. I drove to work with the vent windows in the back open and both windows and vents in front also open. I'm guessing I have a leak in the tank, but I have a question. I think right before I last drove it, I filled the truck up with gas. I always really top off the tank to the very top so as to have a cushion against running out.
Is it possible that I'm somehow smelling overflow? My truck has had the charcoal canister removed.

Could be....

Could be that the tank has rotted out to the point that it finally let go too...

" I always really top off the tank to the very top so as to have a cushion against running out. "

:rolleyes:

paulj said:
I got in my 40 this morning and noticed a real strong smell of gasoline, even before I started the engine. After starting it and looking the truck over I noticed a wet spot around the drain plug under the gas tank on the underside of the truck. (I'm assuming it's a drain plug) There was also a wet spot on the frame. I was in a hurry to get to work as I had a meeting I absolutely had to be at. I drove to work with the vent windows in the back open and both windows and vents in front also open. I'm guessing I have a leak in the tank, but I have a question. I think right before I last drove it, I filled the truck up with gas. I always really top off the tank to the very top so as to have a cushion against running out.
Is it possible that I'm somehow smelling overflow? My truck has had the charcoal canister removed.

Check the fuel sender which mounts on the top of the tank. My gasket
was shot and I used to get the same smell whenever the tank was full.
We're you parked on a hill?

I was parked on level ground. A leaky gasket on the sending unit wouldn't explain the wet spot on the frame and around the drain plug. I guess it could if it came out the top and ran down the tank on the outside. I guess I'll burn off some of the gas and see if it still leaks when the tank is only half full.

paulj said:
I guess I'll burn off some of the gas

Do NOT use matches to do this!!!!!

Check around your filler tube (touch near the rubber, and at the base, top of the tank and smell your finger :flipoff2: ). Sometimes gas will leech out around the edges of that when you overfill.

What time of day did you fill the take way too much? If it was in the afternoon and then you drove home and it sat in your drive way all day the gas could have expanded and leaked out some where.
i.e.
rgentry said:
Check the fuel sender which mounts on the top of the tank. My gasket
was shot and I used to get the same smell whenever the tank was full.
We're you parked on a hill?
This is why you are not suppoed to
paulj said:
really top off the tank to the very top so as to have a cushion against running out.
:flipoff2:

Sometimes a faulty fuel separator (the black platic thingy behind the grey metal thingy behind the pass seat with all the hoses connected to it; looks like medusa on crack) can cause gas vapor build up in the cab. should have a one way check valve, most likely on the pass framerail under the rig. If blocked, or incomplete system, or improperly routed system,can cause vapor build up in truck. If this is it, does not explain the wet spot on your passenger side. Paul . . . you player you! :beer:

I found the same strong smell after a good fill-up, and a little trickle of gas on the tank under the passenger seat after driving an incline or downhill; previous owner had warned that the sensing unit seal might be deteriorating, I think that's the case, it evidently doesn't seal much anymore. So far, I have just refrained from filling it too much, but I will need to take out the seat on the passenger side, find the seal thingie and replace it. Anyone know where to get one? Thanks in advance,

another thing to look at is the filler hose. as they get old, they don't seal up as well.

DSRTRDR said:
but I will need to take out the seat on the passenger side, find the seal thingie and replace it. Anyone know where to get one? Thanks in advance,

Should not have to, I guess it depends on what seats you have in your truck though...

CDan here on the boared, (cruiserdan) or any of the Land Cruiser part houses should be able to help, but they may have min. $ orders....Dan will not have that..

Good luck!

-Steve

leaky tank

I just finished reinstalling my tank today. One of the previous owners had patched a couple holes on the bottom of the tank and it was slowly leaking gas in the tub which was coming out the hole around my drain plug exactly as you described. I removed the tank, drained the gas and sanded (by hand not by power sander which can cause sparks on steel) off all the paint that had peeled off because the gas acts like thinner. I wire brushed the rotted area where the holes were and found about 4 pin holes. I mixed up a batch of JB weld and after cleaning the area with a clean rag and some carb cleaner, I applied the JB. After 24 hrs, I repainted it with a black corrosion protective paint I got at Kragens and did the same treatment to the affected area of the tub. Reinstalled the tank and now it's as good as new. At least until I can get a poly tank in there. By the way, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery as you'll have to mess with the wires on your tank. Hope this helps.

Check your Charcoal canister. I had this issue with the fuel overflowing into the canister and out of the overflow hose (usually tucked inside the frame). Then it runs down and drips under the passenger side.

Roadnoiz40 said:
Check your Charcoal canister. I had this issue with the fuel overflowing into the canister and out of the overflow hose (usually tucked inside the frame). Then it runs down and drips under the passenger side.

[quote paulj]My truck has had the charcoal canister removed.[/quote]

Hmmm.

My vote is also for the filler neck hose or the sender gasket. If you haven't ever had your tank out, I'd opt for taking the time to pull it and clean out the debris that has for sure built up under there anyways as a good preventative measure.

P.S. It's easier to get the tank out after you've used up most of the gas in the tank! :bounce:

I used to have fuel smell after fillup... it was the sender gasket. About a year later, had fuel smell all the time...it was the tank rusted out.

I'll probably take the seat out and look at the tank and gasket around the sending unit this weekend. As I'm within driving distance of CCOT I may go up there and get another gasket if that's indeed the problem. I hope it's not the tank itself, but if it is I might get one of the poly tanks. I once had the same problem with the built in tank on my boat. Corrosion caused by contact of dissimilar metals. I guess if it's the tank on the 40 it's just age.
--Doc, I love the pic of the Mil8. I've got a few of my own I can put up if I ever get around to gettng a gold star membership.

Last edited:
paulj said:
I hope it's not the tank itself, but if it is I might get one of the poly tanks.

Save yourself the headaches and wasted money on this, and just get a new metal one from Toyota...

Will be further ahead in the long run....by far...

Installed and maintained, just like anything else with these vehicles, it will probalby outlast the owner...

Good luck!

-Steve

gas leakage

Ok.......filled up late at night for a long trip.........short on time did not want to try to fill up in daytime and waste time:frown:.the auto shut off on the gas filler at the station was nonop so the pig got filled to the very very top at a temp of 45F.
drove home a 1/2 mile and let it sit over night; :princess:drove me to work; came back around noon at 78F outside temp and there was about a Gal. of gas beside it coming from the gas cap; pushed it away from the house and opened the G-cap and another Gal or 2 forcefully flowed out!:mad:
remover inside panel........no hose leaks...gas cap seal in good shape...gas tank with no leaks BUT there is a Y taking off from the metal part of the filler neck where a small diameter stub has been plugged off by a PO with a hex bolt and a hose clamp; I circled it in red...........this should run back back to my fuel tank but I cannot see any fitting on the fuel tank where this would plug in.........
questions
1......would rehooking this overflow hose help the gas spillage/expansion problem?
2......any pix of where it goes in the G-tank?
TIA;

Lou
168b2  filler neck.JPG

I get the same gas smell when I fill up all the way. I just don't do it any more and carry a full jerry can wherever I go in my 40. When i have some extra money around I'll buy a new tank but its not really a hassle yet. leaks aren't good just avoid filling it up so much next time, it should buy you some time to save some money for a new tank.

Leaky tank

Most likely a rust hole.. Seen the same thing a few times in the last 17 years.

A fairly permanent fix is a product called "SEAL ALL" available at many hardware stores.

Minor leaks can be fixed for good. I even know of someone who glued their fuel pump back together with it and then drove 300 miles to get home.