Strong gas smell..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lake Arrowhead, CA (was), Rocky Top, TN (is)
I'm getting a strong gas smell from the truck (I can smell it as I walk up to it in the morning). The window in the carb shows no gas at all. Hard start (which makes sense - until gas works its way into the carb) and then fires up and idles smoothly.

Drove to the office, 15 minutes and the truck has been sitting for about an hour. Just looked at the carb window and no gas in it. It started right up, though, and the window filled right away.

Doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank, so I don't think it's a leak there. Pulled the cover off the fuel separator and can't see any leak or weep. Don't see any leaks from the charcoal cannister or associated lines.

Thinking it must be around the carb.....where would it be leaking from? I did the "sniff test" and couldn't locate a leak or see anything.

Any ideas? Thanks......

When mine did that, it was a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump which caused it to leak out the weep hole in the bottom of the fuel pump. It would start and run normally, but would drip gas slowly onto the metal plate bolted to the frame on that side. Some times it would leak enough to puddle on the ground but not always.

When mine did that, it was a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump which caused it to leak out the weep hole in the bottom of the fuel pump. It would start and run normally, but would drip gas slowly onto the metal plate bolted to the frame on that side. Some times it would leak enough to puddle on the ground but not always.

x2.....i had the same issue a few years ago

Bingo....you guys nailed it. I had the leak from the weep hole. The local parts shop had the stock unit on the shelf :eek:, but I cracked the spacer trying to get it off the old one :bang:. Gonna order a new one from CCOT unless someone chimes in with a better option......

...I cracked the spacer trying to get it off the old one :bang:. Gonna order a new one from CCOT unless someone chimes in with a better option......

A dealer can get you the spacer too, that's where I got mine. Probably more expensive but they can get stuff in one day (from the big-ass warehouses in Houston or San Diego) depending on where you live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom