Strong gas smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey cruiser heads I need some advice. I have had a strong smell of gas when I fill up in my cruise since I've owned it never really bothered me until I had a leak on a trip in Colorado. I was on a farely step incline nose of the 60 facing down when I got out I noticed a steady stream of gas running down the right side of the frame and off the shackel reversal. I didn't take the time to chase it all the way back I had my two boys in the cruiser and just wanted to level it out. It was on a full tank and I have never had any problems like that ever. The recall tank was replaced in 88. Their is the bubbling of gas or hissing when I remove the gas cap to fill up as well I always just thought this was normal but, someone informed me it souldn't be happing. The egr cooler is off the cruiser I'm woundering if the carcoal canister could be overflowing because of this.

If it is the tank has any one used the 42gallon replacment tanks I've seem them on sites for around 650.00 Is it worth it, do I need heavier shocks in the back (currently running OME lights springs and shocks).

Also if the tank has to come out has anyone seen or used the third row seat in a 60 I saw one awhile back don't remember were but it did say the tank had to be droped to get it in. Just figured If I had to start one project why not make it more intresting.

Thanks in advace

I had a problem smelling gas in my 60 for a while,and it used to "burp" ut some gas if it was full. I had an aftermarket locking gas cap. As soon as I changed back to the stock gas cap, the smell went away, and it quit belching gas.

yeah, if the tank on the 40 got too full and i didn't 'burp' it, it would overflow a little when it got hotter or faced downhill.

just shake the cruiser real good right before you put the cap on

malphrus

Never heard of a 42 gallon tank for the FJ40. We do have the 22.5 gallon reserve tank from Northwest Metal Products that sits between the frame rails in the back. We have had problems like yours. If both tanks are full, and the engine has been run, there is a chance that there will be an overflow from the charcoal canister. Usually about 2 ounces or so of gas on the ground. Generally the overflow will occur AFTER the engine is shut off. Perculation of gas out of the carb and into the charcoal canister seems to be causing this condition. It is exaserbated (sp?) by full fuel tanks being shaken (like a Coke can) and the pressure headed upstream. We have fabricated a high loop steel line that precedes the charcoal canister which has helped some but not eleviated the problem.
When filling the tanks, we tend to leave out 1-2 gallons so that there is more of an air pocket in the top of the tank. If your local area permits, you may try a vented gas cap or drilling a 1/16" hole for pressure in the tank to release. This may help some.

:flipoff2: Was my wife's cat in the car with you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom