Stripping Paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The paint on my Cruiser is a mess. There are at least three coats of paint.. the original, someone painted over that in the original color, and then I rattle canned over sections of that.

So, my plan is to repaint the whole tub, but I don't really have the facilities to remove the tub.

What do is best to use for removing all of this paint? I am planning on taking it down to bare metal on the interior to Rust Bullet it before priming, and I'd like to do the same for the exterior.

Seems like a paint stripper would be the easiest and cheapest. Any reason that I should sand/media blast instead?

- Matt

baking soda

if you can find a baking soda media blaster, it will work for sure.
I have one here about 15 miles away, and he has a portable unit so he does it on sight. I say baking soda because it will not fawk up your glass. or "shiny" parts.

I used the mar hyde aircraft stripper on my entire 40 series. It worked fine but was kind of a mess. Not to mention the fumes and hours using a respirator. Would be much eaiser to blast and take care of any surface rust at the same time.

Hmm. How much should I expect to pay to have my Cruiser soda blasted? I can't imagine that it would be as cheap as buying some paint stripper, but it would be nice to have the surface rust removed...

- Matt

I think Gumby paid ~ $700 to get his piggy blasted inside and out. I've blasted to metal and it's a messy PITA. I have also used Tal Strip (methylene chloride based) strippers...also a messy PITA and you need to wear the appropriate PPE. And most recently I went to bare metal on my pig using 36 grit on an 8" DA and using 3M abrasive mini discs in the tight spots....not too bad compared to the other methods...but the piggie was rust free from Arizona and that makes a big difference in the method of stripping. For anywhere in the range that Gumby paid for blasting, it really becomes a no brainer. IIRC the guy he used even clean up after himself.

Hmm. $700 buys a lot of sanding discs. I have a lot more free time than I have money.... maybe I'll do the bulk of it with a sander and then touch up the tight spots with a cheap media blaster. I'll be replacing the quarter panels and rear sill, which takes care of the bulk of my rust.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom