Stripping Chrome Wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ouano.com and www.newbreedacademy.com
Does anyone in this forum have any suggestions on how to strip chrome wheels? I'm determined to paint a set of chrome wheels BLACK but want to make sure I remove the chrome completely.

I'm in West Los Angeles, CA if anyone can refer me to someone that can do it for me.

I heard that the wheels can be dipped in some solution to remove it.
I've asked around and looked online without any luck. Maybe I'm not searching correctly :confused:.

Appreciate any help in this department.
Thanks.

I have a feeling that you are going to spend more time and money trying to remove the chrome then just simply buying a set of rock cralwer wheels. You can usually find them pretty cheap these days.

If you have your heart set on cleaning up the wheels you got... you can have them dipped to remove the chrome or you could try sand blasting them.

Powder coating

Instead of stripping and painting, have them sandblasted and powder coated. This is easier and lasts a lot longer than regular paint, which will chip off and allow rust to get started.

M

I have simply painted two sets of the stock chrome wheels. One set with Krylon camo paint and the other with Rustoleum Hammered. Both paint jobs have been holding up well, the camo stuff has been on for 4 years without any significant chipping or peeling. The Hammered paint has been on for 2 or 3 years and still looks good.

My prep for stuff like this tends toward the lazy end of the spectrum. All I have done is wash them well with soap and water, wire brush any stuck on deposits, blast with carb cleaner, then paint. I don't think I went to the trouble and expense of using a primer either.

Godwin got any pics? im thinken of doing the camo to my stockers.

Godwin got any pics? im thinken of doing the camo to my stockers.

Here's one. I can shoot a closeup tomorrow if you want. I used brown because the FJ was red.
IMG_4331.JPG

Rims

There is a clear bonding agent in spray can that is supposed to bont paint to chromn. Wal Mart has it in the auto paint section.

I had very good results from sandblasting the old crome off. Left a very good surface for the primer and paint to stick too also. And since rims are fairly beefy, theres no worries in warping the metal from sandblasting, and your rims will retain there shape. I did however cover the bead seats with duct tape to protect the surface from any pitting so I could make sure a good bead seal would still be there when I put the tires back on.

If you want to do something quick and easy, just rough-up your chrome wheels with 180 grit sandpaper, prime, and then spray (rattle-can) paint your wheels. I used a can of Restoleum semi-gloss black, which has held up for a couple of years with no problems. Another plus is that it is quick and cheap to touch up if you need to. Just my $ .02 :)

a

Godwin what size tires you got on there?

a quick sand blast prime and then paint. you can use a good spray can that makes touching up easier or use a high quality enamel or urethane. must say im a painter and the best i have seen is a two part aliphatic urethane that is almost like rubber. or just by rockcrawlers. good luck

bryon

The shops that do plating and metal finishing should be able to chemical strip them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom