Stripped Upper Air Plenum Screws for Throttle Body. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pierce

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone successfully repaired these? Mine spin freely. Any tricks or wisdom?

754E7AA5-1034-4068-A554-C029A3942B47.jpeg

you coud oversize it and use a hilicoil or something along those lines. as for getting them out if you can get something back behind the head of the bolt and give it a little pressure you should be able to get them out

I can remove them easily. Just can’t torque them. I’ve got a helicoil on order. @Pin_Head could you educate me on what a v block is please?

I’ll provide some knowledge for the next poor fool that makes the same mistake I did.

The two steel inserts on top of the upper air plenum for throttle body are a press fit. Remove them by rotating them slightly while pulling. I marred mine during extraction so in the end the ugly part got tapped back into the upper air plenum. Out of sight out of mind.

ere are some options.
Helicoil and Time-Sert
2E50B5D9-EF59-4D0A-9757-364E2BEC9426.jpeg

I chose the Time Sert and some 20mm stainless inserts for (hopefully) overkill. The kit comes with some 10mm carbon steel inserts which would likely be more than adequate.
C70C4EA0-04AA-40EE-A4DD-83548A2D4104.jpeg

For the upper bolt holes the Sert guide is mostly useless.
Install is very easy.
1-Drill the upper plenum treads out as strait as possible; go until you hit bottom.
2-Thread the hole until you hit bottom; it’s aluminum, very easy.
3- The chamfering tool will not fit in the hole and is not needed; don’t sweat it.
4- Install the Time Sert; you should have plenty of room to fully expand it if you drilled the hole all the way out.
5- Re-install your new gasket and throttle body or supercharger tube thing.

I am generally a screw up when it comes to mechanicing and I pulled the thread repair off in 30 minutes with no issues. I was able to torque everything down to 15 ft lbs. I did not go the helicoil route because they (are rumored to) occasionally unscrew with the bolt. There’s no way to glue them in with thread locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom