Stripped transmission drain plug (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to do a drain and fill on my 2000 lx470 transmission and the bolt stripped the threads coming out. Tried the easy fix of just replacing the bolt with another OEM plug and it is stripped as well. Long story made short is I have a replacement pan on the way. My question is other than replacing the filter while I have it opened up should I do anything else. The transmission was working fine the fluid looked great I had switched to Mobil 1 multi vehicle full synthetic at 80k and it is now at 135k.

All opinions are welcome.
Thanks

Just buy another transmission bolt with washer. Don't tight it up above 14 ft-lbf torque even though it is recommended at 15 ft-lbf.

Ok ,

So here we go ...............

- i am going to assume the ATM transmission ATF drain plug , Correct ? 14mm Hex tool wrench size

- Buy a OEM toyota oil pan drain plug , a Tap that matches the oil pan plug

- buy a 90430-12031 gasket

- Tap the hole out to the bigger size oil pan thread pitch and diameter , the ATM plug was a course thread and smaller thread diamiter

- no drilling required

the tap will re thread & enlarge the dynamiter one step on its own

- install oil pan plug in re-tapped atm drain hole , torque to oil pan plug spec

providing u have the size of plug ATM drain as a 2002 Tacoma , 2003 tundra & 99 4runner , this outline will work for u

good luck

The problem I have right now is that the drain plug is stuck in the pan it will partially come out then just turns and turns in both directions. I attempted vise grips with no luck. Next step was to bite bullet and order replacement pan.

The problem I have right now is that the drain plug is stuck in the pan it will partially come out then just turns and turns in both directions. I attempted vise grips with no luck. Next step was to bite bullet and order replacement pan.

u can get it out still :

using a large screwdriver flat head pry bar insert between drain plug lip rim & pan carefully pry down with MED pressure , turn 14mm hex deep socket or oter & the downward force applied similatainisly with a counter clockwise turn will come out , I have Been in your shoes before several times , this the method that works , keep pry bar flat head steady and tight

U can do it

u can win

if u need a diagram of what i speak of technique let me know

u can get it out still :

using a large screwdriver flat head pry bar insert between drain plug lip rim & pan carefully pry down with MED pressure , turn 14mm hex deep socket or oter & the downward force applied similatainisly with a counter clockwise turn will come out , I have Been in your shoes before several times , this the method that works , keep pry bar flat head steady and tight

U can do it

u can win

if u need a diagram of what i speak of technique let me know

Yep, a flat hat screw driver inserted between the drain plug and the pan and increase pressure down when unscrew the plug.

Ok ,

So here we go ...............

- i am going to assume the ATM transmission ATF drain plug , Correct ? 14mm Hex tool wrench size

- Buy a OEM toyota oil pan drain plug , a Tap that matches the oil pan plug

- buy a 90430-12031 gasket

- Tap the hole out to the bigger size oil pan thread pitch and diameter , the ATM plug was a course thread and smaller thread diamiter

- no drilling required

the tap will re thread & enlarge the dynamiter one step on its own

- install oil pan plug in re-tapped atm drain hole , torque to oil pan plug spec

providing u have the size of plug ATM drain as a 2002 Tacoma , 2003 tundra & 99 4runner , this outline will work for u

good luck
Great Idea. I have a 1998 Land Cruiser with the same issue. What size plug or from which car for the now larger re-tapped hole? A new original plug will now be too small, or do I not understand your fix correctly? Also, what would I have to buy to replace the ATM pan itself eg. filter, gasket?? Thanks for any help!

I believe the suggestion is to use an Engine Oil plug in place of the Transmission plug. I haven't verified, but assuming that the engine oil plug is larger diameter than transmission drain plug.

Had the same issue. Yup NE rust belt I guess. I just used a little bit bigger bolt from my stash. Used alittle dab of Toyota gasket silicone no issue since. I'll swap the pan next filter change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom