Stripped tranny/bell housing bolt holes!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well here goes again.
Puttin the tranny back in and find three of the four bolts holes stripped out.:censor: :censor: :censor: God only knows how they got that way since they were quite tight and solid when I pulled the thing. Anyone run into this kinda pain in the rump? But on to my question. Heli coils or locking threaded inserts? In searching I have not found anything dealing with this size bolts and being stripped. Does anyone know if the bell housing is cast iron or steel? I am so tired of things like this as I swear it feels like this thing has been nothing but 1 step forward and two/three/four steps back all the way.
I could honestly use some positive input as I swear I am feeling badly beaten on lately.

Either way, ideas are quite welcome.
Thanks in advance folks.

which trans? I guess it doesn't matter much.... but could you either drill out to a slightly bigger size or if a bolt fits could you just nut on the inside????

The bellhousing is cast iron.

Use a fine thread 1/2 inch USS bolt instead of the 12 mm bolt. The extra .5 mm is just enough that it will tighten right up.

Pin_Head have you done that yourself on them? I am pretty concerned considering whats hanging off the back of the bell housing. I was actually considering going with longer bolts from the inside and placing nuts and lock washers on the outside since I can access the bolt holes from the inside. I wish I had more experience with this as I honestly don't know how well someone can tap cast iron for using inserts (heli colis/etc). Anyone else had to deal with this?

Go with what pin head said.
I was dealing with a stripped one my self this week end.
Are your bolts stripped or the bolt hole? You might try chasing it with a tap.

I have 1 half inch bolt in my bellhousing right now and it has stayed tight for 8 years. It works surprisingly well, but if the idea of putting a SAE bolt in a metric hole offends you, you could run a SAE tap in there first. Putting a nut on the inside would work as long as you can get a wrench on it and it isn't in the way of something. Drilling and tapping cast iron is no big deal (as long as nobody has welded on it), so you could helicoil the holes too.

petescoffee, its the bolt holes and not the bolts. Thanks Pin_Head. I figure I will give it a shot and see if I can actually make some forward progress/motion with this uhhhhhhhhhhhh 40

Thanks again

If it is a 3 speed bellhousing I'll send you one for shipping costs. It will probably be easier to change it out than screwing with yours and wondering if it is going to hold. There are two different pitches of threads used in the engine, trans-transfer setups. It would be really easy for them to have gotten mixed up and caused your headaches. pm me if you need the housing.

Thanks for the offer Toyrod but its a 4 speed. As to the bolts and thread pitch, I checked each one that came out and all of mine that held the bell housing to the block and the tranny to the bell housing. They are all the same. Maybe its what happens bying old stuff. lol like I can buy a new one. lolol

Thanks for the help folks

i have a large pile of 4 speed bel housings in pa when the snow melts off my trailer their going to the scrap yard if you want 1 for the cost of shipping its yours good luck either way yougo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom