Stripped tcase fill plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So I changed the oil in my tranny and tcase today so I could clean the drain plugs and have a baseline to check for anything on the magnets next time I service them, and the fill plug for the tcase was pretty tight to remove all the way out (usually I can break them loose and then get them out by hand). The threads looks okay on the plug, but when I put it back it gave the telltale sign of snugging up...........and then all of a sudden getting loose again. I always use a 24mm 6-point socket on my 3/8" ratchet to avoid inadvertently over tightening drain and fill plugs, but even then it stripped loose. I got it back to a "snug" point where I won't have to worry about it coming out on the road, but if it turns out the housing threads are stripped, is there a fix I can perform without splitting the tcase and having to scrap the rear housing?

Tap it for 1/2" if my memory serves right. I did mine. I can look for photos. Did it under the truck. Was pretty easy to do.

1/2" NPT

was this just re-done with the H55? they would have had to rebuild it and add oil. I'd be on the phone with them about it on Tuesday AM.

1/2" NPT

was this just re-done with the H55? they would have had to rebuild it and add oil. I'd be on the phone with them about it on Tuesday AM.
It was. The tcase came with the tranny I provided but they did have to reseal it so there's that. I'll get a tap and plug and also a new OEM plug juuuuuuust in case it was my fill plug that stripped. If it was the case housing itself I'll drop them an email as a heads-up.

@NeverGiveUpYota If I do have to tap my case I'll do it under the truck. Lotsa grease on the tap and then be sure to rinse any shavings out with some oil when I'm done.....

A few aluminum shavings won’t do a thing to hurt the splitcase. From experience

I was going to add you could remove the PTO cover plate and shove a rag in there or something similar but as stated it's soft aluminum.
that's why the threads get destroyed by someone overtightening the plug

I took the PTO cover off and stuck the shop vac in with an extension made of some soft PVC tubing and sucked up anything that fell in. I used a rag and went really slow so not much did but the paranoia made me worry.

not saying metal shavings are desirable in a gearbox but I ran mine with a spacer missing so one of the gear ground 1/4" of the entire inside of the wall of the forward housing out. for three years. and with no oil for a lot of those three years. Pics in my build thread. You'll be fine

I had the same issue and chasing the the threads with the same size tap bought me some time. I was in there a lot checking the oil level at that time because my tcase/tranny seal was blown.

Of course this was only a half bit easier than just tapping it with 1/2” NPT.

Anyway... Georg rebuilt the tcase last fall and addressed the almost-stripped fill hole with a longer plug that has more bite, instead of re tapping to 1/2”. You might want to check with him on that part.

I had the same issue and chasing the the threads with the same size tap bought me some time. I was in there a lot checking the oil level at that time because my tcase/tranny seal was blown.

Of course this was only a half bit easier than just tapping it with 1/2” NPT.

Anyway... Georg rebuilt the tcase last fall and addressed the almost-stripped fill hole with a longer plug that has more bite, instead of re tapping to 1/2”. You might want to check with him on that part.
That's not a bad idea actually. I was just going to post asking if I should use thread sealer with the 1/2NPT plug but this would be a better way to go I'll bet.

@orangefj45 do you recall what you used for this?

FWIW, we use these n all diffs, manual transmissions and transfer cases for drain & fill. They however can NOT be used with the lower split case gear sets. And typically we sell our customers the matching Snap-on 10mm T-Handle wrench #AWSGM10A ……. we keep all these in stock at all times ……… and I carry one of the t-handles in each of my cruisers.

Hope that helps.

Georg

Valley Hybrids

FWIW, we use these n all diffs, manual transmissions and transfer cases for drain & fill. They however can NOT be used with the lower split case gear sets. And typically we sell our customers the matching Snap-on 10mm T-Handle wrench #AWSGM10A ……. we keep all these in stock at all times ……… and I carry one of the t-handles in each of my cruisers.

Hope that helps.

Georg

Valley Hybrids
So for me, if I want to put a lower range gearset in at some point, I'd want to either not make the 1/2NPT plug too deep, or (better I imagine) put on a whole new rear case?

BTW texted you about the 4* shims 😁

Let me clarify ...... you CAN use the 10mm Allen plug for the fill but NOT the drain when running a low gear set.

the OEM Orange FIPG 00295-01281 is my go-to sealer in a case like this ,

it's life-time permanent yet serviceable too down the road if need be ....

excellent product still made in JAPAN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom