Stripped spindle thread trouble. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Riverrunner

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.summitautotransport.com
I decided to tackle the brakes/rotors/wheel bearings on my 2000 lx470 yesterday and I'm really glad I did. The drivers side lock nuts and locking washer had welded themselves together and started to walk off the spindle. In doing so, they damaged the spindle threads. It looks like just the beginning threads since I can't get the new nuts started. My question is should I take the entire spindle/knuckle off and take it to a machine shop, or try the thread file route and try to restore?
Does anyone know how many threads per inch the spindle has?
Thanks in advance for any info

20170627_121405.jpg

Generally you'll want to replace that spindle, if the pre-load was gone then the bearing surfaces are probably galled up as well. Glad you're safe, wish you were having more fun.

It looks like my hj60 and the 2nd nut comes really close to the edge, so if the damage is only in the beginning a slight retread should fix it.

file.php

If the thread is gone more than I can see on the picture replace, expensive stuff
I dont see much difference between your start of thread and the end, so no visible damage that I can see, is it dirt or damage?
Or are there flat spots on the thread because if that is damage (no thread left) then I don't think it can be reused.
The nut is 78 Newton Meter torque, so it must handle that if you want to reuse.

file.php

file.php

Last edited:
This was the part that made is sound like it's done to me:
..... lock nuts and locking washer had welded themselves together and started to walk off the spindle....

And the photo looks to show flat spotting in the middle of the threads, maybe try to get a closeup of the threads and 1st bearing seat.

You should be able to remove the spindle by removing all 14 mm bolts. I recently did this job to a Hilux front axle.

Take the spindle to a machine shop and ask them to fill the damaged area with some electric welding and rethread the spindle.

FYI, New spindles are close to $500.00 a piece. Save it if you can but only if you can make sure it will be safe. And personally, I wouldn't include welding on it as being a safe path to take. Just my opinion.

Anyone know the part #?
Please go to partsouq.com and enter your VIN and then go to chassis and suspension. Look for front suspension.

I once chased a brake paddle sinking issue on our Hilux LN 106 (solid axle still same spindle) Replaced master pump, etc., etc., but no luck. Later found out the spindle threads were toast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom