Stripped Knuckle stud repair, Helicoil Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeddyBoy

Knighted by the King of MUD himself
Threads
Website
www.novatelco.com
Anyone have a M12x1.5 Helicoil Kit? I need to borrow tap specifically if you have one.

I stripped out a knuckle stud hole last weekend and the options for repair are pretty limited. Helicoil seems to be he best option out there but the kits are $70 and I only need to tap 1 or 2 holes. While I'm at it I'll add the 5th stud mod for more strength.

The only other thought is to use a wheel stud (same size) and press it through the knuckle stud hole from the inside. What I don't know is whether i will have to grind the head of the bolt on the inside or will it clear the birfield. If I have to grind the head off will it defeat the purpose and be too week?

any thoughts or ideas out there? :hmm:

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, keep 'em comin'. Good option HCC - thanks and I'll keep it in mind.

more research yields additional options. Replacing the knuckle is certainly one option but I'm thinking upgrade opportunity. A lot of the guys on pirate are re-drilling and tapping for 9/16" D44 studs or even 5/8" studs; stronger, cheaper and easier to get my hands on. then, add the 5th bolt for added strength..

just FYI-Helicoils seem to be the popular option and then there's keenserts, new to me but pretty cool option, a little spendy though.

Last edited:
I like the idea of drilling and going with bigger studs. I was helping a friend with a head gasket on a 22 r and one of the head bolts striped out the threads. I just drilled it out one size bigger and tapped it. that was a year ago and the engine is still going strong.

Ill re-tap the stripped hole first and go from there, nothing to loose really. Need a little more info on how to handle the cone washer.

Last edited:
Ted, I'm pretty sure I have a time sert kit for the M12 ( ++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair, ) I'll be home next week and can confirm then. I used it to repair the treads for the caliper bolts on my old 60. Your welcome to use it.

cool, If'n I don't have a fix b/w now and then I'll hit ya up. thanks!

The studs control your steering, why would you compromise your saftey on a Heli-coil.

Replace the knuckle there not that hard to find.

North Country Land Cruisers - Cruiser Parts, Fabrication, Service, Restoration
To the contrary, research shows that Heli-Coils are as strong (and sometimes stronger) than the original threads. They were originally designed for aircraft use.
I was concerned with their use as well at one time and after some reading discovered concerns are unfounded. I say Heli-Coil away :cheers:

To the contrary, research shows that Heli-Coils are as strong (and sometimes stronger) than the original threads. They were originally designed for aircraft use.
I was concerned with their use as well at one time and after some reading discovered concerns are unfounded. I say Heli-Coil away :cheers:

I've read this as well but have no experience with them, I guess we'll find out.

Just carry some spare inserts in your truck just in case something breaks on the trail

This w/b based on how hard you wheel your rig.
I'm not taking my rig through the Rubicon w/ patched steering components. Good Luck

The inserts I was talking about basically is a steel bushing that screws into new tapped threads and has the proper threads inside. IMHO should be just as strong as original

This w/b based on how hard you wheel your rig.
I'm not taking my rig through the Rubicon w/ patched steering components. Good Luck
Not really. They would of course fail where your threads would fail. As it says in my original post, the research shows that the coil can be found stronger than the original threads, therefore, it would be just as good, if not better than the original threads. I have seen them fail just as I have seen original threads fail. Also, if they are improperly applied, they certainly could fail easily.
What has been your experience with them?

Hmm

I have used and do completely understand the theory behind the Heli-coil.

If properly installed, they will add strength & value, but the knuckle s/b removed and the drill port s/b correct and precise, if not, and the installation is performed poorly, failure will result.

I have no argument, carry on and Heli-coil away...:D

Un-subscribed-:flipoff2:

Last edited:
What has been your experience with them?

I used one on my 440, about fifteen years ago. Still there (last I checked).
Granted, it wasn't suspension related.
I have also used them on the planetary gearbox of a snowcat, and it was most decidedly a harsh environment; no problem.

performed poorly, failure will result.

can't argue with that. :confused:

First attempt will be 9/16ths stud, if that fails I'll try the Helicoil, if that fails, replace knuckle. If that fails, :hmm: I'll let Nick drive it home, he's good at losing front wheels. :flipoff2:

tkinze said:
can't argue with that. :confused:

First attempt will be 9/16ths stud, if that fails I'll try the Helicoil, if that fails, replace knuckle. If that fails, :hmm: I'll let Nick drive it home, he's good at losing front wheels. :flipoff2:

I would not recommend trying the heli coil after retapping the hole for 9/16 studs. There won't be enough material left to tap the hole for a different thread pattern. Personally, I would replace the knuckle and helicoil the old one as a trail spare

I would not recommend trying the heli coil after retapping the hole for 9/16 studs. There won't be enough material left to tap the hole for a different thread pattern. Personally, I would replace the knuckle and helicoil the old one as a trail spare

yeah I thought of that after posting, can't really helicoil it after making the hole big nuff for the 9/16 stud. BUT, it's hard to say for sure as i don't know what size the hole has to be to take the Helcoil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom