Stripped exhaust manifold hole in head -need some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
In the process of rebuilding my 1fz. Finally got the head back today and had a bit of a setback when installing the exhaust manifolds. All the threads in one of the holes completely pulled out. At about 20ft/lb on the torque wrench.

Any suggestions on repair method that I could get a hold of fairly quickly? Seems like helicoil maybe not so great for this, and key lock threaded inserts the best? Problem is I cant get the key lock quickly, but amazon does have some standard ezlok threaded inserts in an m10x1.25. Thoughts on if this may work out? Not sure if the provided tap would be sufficient..maybe have to get an additional bottoming tap?

I’m a bit bummed as I was hoping to get this back running over the weekend.

Any help/feedback appreciated.

E-Z LOK EZ-650-10F Threaded Inserts for Metal, M10-1.25 Installation Kit, Steel, Black Oxide Amazon product ASIN B07BXT8H1G
Amazon product ASIN B07BXT8H1G

Last edited:
Last edited:
When y'all include links in your descriptions, please use the "Insert Link" and copy and paste it in. Otherwise, the link you have provided does not show up for Amazon stuff for some reason. Another member pointed this out to me and it made a huge difference for everyone, as I thought it was working.

Weird! Yea shows up for me as the poster i guess. Will edit above
Yup!

This is what I see.
1594403516370.png

Well this was short lived; I had ordered a separate pack of 16.2 mm inserts but those were delayed by two days. Thought I may try the longer ones and file down as necessary (per timesert instructions). But as it turned out, quality control on the day mine kit was packaged included 10x1.5 inserts instead of 1.25.

Tap and installation tool are correct. Oh well wait a bit longer and use the right length inserts and see if timesert will send me some replacements

E112AE32-D664-45D2-A307-B5FA5C018470.jpeg

Last edited:
Quick update/followup. I got the other package of the 16mm 1.25 inserts. I replaced 5 of the stud holes as there was a few metal shavings in those that I replaced when I removed the studs. A few thoughts:
-the 16mm is just about the perfect length. Don’t go any longer. The tap that comes with the kit is tapered so won’t thread all the way into the hole.
-the kit is quite nice and good quality, just check the inserts are the right size.
-I drilled out the holes by hand because the metal was so soft and a power drill was catching too much.
-tapping using the supplied guide was super easy. I used wd40 for cutting as it seems that is common for use on aluminum.
-I had originally used aluminum antiseize but this could have been part of the problem, replaced that with copper antiseize.
-I used loctite blue 242 on the inserts. It has a service temp of 300degrees. The studs sit pretty much at the water jacket so I think will be ok. Plus didn’t want those inserts rusting or something.

Generally I’m happy with the repair...time will tell but I’m guessing that the inserts are stronger than the other original holes

BC1B0F0F-2F0C-457B-97CE-8B5C9290A12F.jpeg

01FEA60A-536F-4468-8CCE-5684D4BA9185.jpeg

01069A2B-7DDD-4C61-A541-7FC464D815CA.jpeg

BABD747E-48D8-4B5E-9FFF-C4A90B3992B7.jpeg

94A170F4-0AE0-484C-8711-B669891BB605.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like good work to me. 👍 :wrench:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom