Stripped Bolt hole in knuckle.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for suggestions on fixing a stripped:crybaby: bolt hole on the drivers side knuckle housing. This is the threaded hole that the top bolt of the caliper threads into.

A helicoil seems maybe not strong enough given that it is holding the caliper? I dunno.

Would welding, drilling and retaping warp the housing? Also I think I would have accuracy issues?

You all are the experts so let 'em fly.

Thanks!

slopoke
'78 FJ-40
http://www.toepper.net/Landcruiser pages/cruiserindex.html

two of the knuckle studs on one of my knuckles are helicoiled....I did weld in the ARP studs, but the coils seemed to be working just fine....

IMO, go for it...."relatively" cheap kits are avail at mscdirect.com

I had that happen and just ran a 1/2-20 tap through it and used a grade 8 bolt.
The helicoil idea is probably better, though.

Ed

I have done the same thing Ed....and would do it again without a second thought about it.

:beer:

Thank you!

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I will try threading it first with 1/2", if it looks ugly, I may have to helicoil it. I dont want to have to drill out the caliper holes to fit the 1/2" so we'll see I guess.

---slopoke

slopoke said:
Thank you all for the suggestions!

I will try threading it first with 1/2", if it looks ugly, I may have to helicoil it. I dont want to have to drill out the caliper holes to fit the 1/2" so we'll see I guess.

---slopoke

If memory serves, I think a little work with a round file was all I needed to fit the 1/2" bolt through the caliper. I know I did not have to drill it.
GL

Ed

Poser said:
I have done the same thing Ed....and would do it again without a second thought about it.

If I recall, Obi Wan...you were the source of my great wisdom;)

Ed

Just an update...

I retapped the hole with a 1/2" 13 tap (It is what I had laying around). Worked really well, I did have to enlarge the caliper hole and backing plate bracket by using a 1/2" drill bit. Seems like the stripped hole was the perfect starter size for the tap. The bummer part was that I did have to take off the hub to get a clean shot at the hole. Oh well just a good excuse to repack the bearings.

I did have to use an allen head bolt due to clearence issues. I just went to Home Depot picked up a bolt prefitted it, marked it and trimmed it to length with a hacksaw.

It feels strong, so I guess I am good for now!

Thank you all for your suggestions! I am back on the road with a big smile on my face!:D

---slopoke

www.templeofcruiser.com
www.toepper.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom