Stress with BJ-44 2B engine 1981 that won't start. ?EDIC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rockaway Beach, NY; but was 14yrs in Saskatoon, CA
There is a lever that turns fuel flow up, down and off in the 2B's.

In my version of the 2B, it is the same unit as used on the 3B's.

My truck won't start.

I see no change in that lever position when I put the key in the ignition.

So, which way turns the fuel flow "ON", which way acts as a choke and turns fuel to "RICH". One way cuts fuel.

So, which position is which?

Also, are there any pics of people's rigs where they use a hard wired choke type cable to replace the EDIC?

I could sure use this information ASAP as I miss driving my truck, and I especially want to drive it to where my "new-to-me" 3B engine is stored.

Could it be air in the system? Who knows...maybe. Unlikely as truck is awesome months in a row and then this crap, and I have had EDIC clicking issues. I really therefore prefer to get the EDIC information.

As checking the fuel position thingy seems simple enough, I would like to try that first before re-bleeding the system and checking fuel pressure.

TIA,

T

IIRC the choke cable shut off set up some guys use pulls the edic lever toward the firewall to shut off fuel and forward toward the rad for fuel on there is only two positions on and off.
Correction reverse direction for off and fuel run I have never done this kind of hookup but know of a few guys who have done this I just never looked at how they hooked up the cable.

Last edited:
IIRC there are actually 3 positions as one acts like a choke. It is just no one sets up there cable to activate that position...

So, can anyone else comment on exactly which position is which?

TIA,

T

There is no such thing as a "choke" in a diesel. The "aft" position adds some fuel during cranking.

If you want to see if the engine runs, just pull off the edic arm and start the engine. Push the lever forward to stop the engine.

The EDIC (of "Fuel") relay is the common problem. Pull the lid off and look for damage to the circuit board. Relay is located beside the glove box.

~John

There is no such thing as a "choke" in a diesel. The "aft" position adds some fuel during cranking.

If you want to see if the engine runs, just pull off the edic arm and start the engine. Push the lever forward to stop the engine.

The EDIC (of "Fuel") relay is the common problem. Pull the lid off and look for damage to the circuit board. Relay is located beside the glove box.

~John

Many thanks for your reply.

I did not mean to sound as if I believe a Diesel has a choke.

I was trying to draw an analogy based on the fact that I needed all 3 positions described.

Great news is it is definitely EDIC!

I disconnected the lever and the rod fell into the "ON" position.

As soon as I cranked she stuttered and started.

So, as I am switching to a 12 Volt system anyway, the EDIC malfunction just becomes a nuisance requiring a cable wire.

I believe a friend has an EDIC in one of his old trucks if I want to swap.

Either way I might try to rebuild mine, as usually this intermittent function is due to dirt build-up and loss of lubrication.

If anyone has pics of how they rigged their cables, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks one and all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom