Streetable SOA 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

blossett

SILVER Star
Threads
IMG_0386.JPG
image1.jpeg
Working on a 76 40 that the PO installed 327sbc, 4 speed, steering conversion and f250 shock towers and is SOA. I'm a newbie and want this rig to drive on the street and moderate off-road capable. Stock axles extended shackles and currently on 36x12.5s. I gave gotten feed back that its too tall for the width. I see lots of guys on here moving the axles out to the ends, wider axles. What's a good way to go with what I'm starting with for what I'm looking for?

-Replace extended shackles with stock length
-remove a leaf from your spring pack so the springs are flatter.
-look for some 55 or 60 series springs for the rear (added wheelbase)

My SOA on 35s sits at 21" from the ground to bottom of the frame. Total height with top is 81"

Good advice. Thanks Bripars40

I'm a newbie and want this rig to drive on the street
Working on a 76 40 that the PO installed , steering conversion and SOA.

Are you familiar with how caster angle affects drivability? If not I would find someone that is to help you check or take it to an alignment shop and tell you were it’s at now before you start making changes.

Not all vehicle lifts are created equal, with the various combinations home brew and store bought components floating around out there it’s almost impossible to say exactly what you currently have and how it will drive on the street. Factory 40 axles had very little caster built into them and a “cut and turn” is almost always necessary and often over looked when guys lift their 4X4’s.

Hopefully the PO did everything exactly right and you won’t have to do a bunch of fab work to get it right.

Good luck, the 40 looks great!

I agree 100% most don't bother with axel geometry which is not right could be dangerous at higher street speeds. Handling is part of the enjoyment of driving our rigs and not have to fight it all the time. You will notice a big difference when it is set up right.
Are you familiar with how caster angle affects drivability? If not I would find someone that is to help you check or take it to an alignment shop and tell you were it’s at now before you start making changes.

Not all vehicle lifts are created equal, with the various combinations home brew and store bought components floating around out there it’s almost impossible to say exactly what you currently have and how it will drive on the street. Factory 40 axles had very little caster built into them and a “cut and turn” is almost always necessary and often over looked when guys lift their 4X4’s.

Hopefully the PO did everything exactly right and you won’t have to do a bunch of fab work to get it right.

Good luck, the 40 looks great!
dly

-Replace extended shackles with stock length
-remove a leaf from your spring pack so the springs are flatter.
-look for some 55 or 60 series springs for the rear (added wheelbase)

My SOA on 35s sits at 21" from the ground to bottom of the frame. Total height with top is 81"

Bripar40,

I pretty much have the same setup. I am in the building stage of my rig and need to try and keep my rig under 7 feet. (so it will fit under my garage opening)

My rear shackle upper pin has been modified to penetrate through the frame. Is this how you manage to get your rig under 7 feet?

Currently my hardtop is off and it is looking as if I will have to air down to enter my garage. Hopefully with the weight of the hardtop, it with settle down a bit.

Thanks
Steve
IMG_3952.JPG

Bripar40,

I pretty much have the same setup. I am in the building stage of my rig and need to try and keep my rig under 7 feet. (so it will fit under my garage opening)

My rear shackle upper pin has been modified to penetrate through the frame. Is this how you manage to get your rig under 7 feet?

Currently my hardtop is off and it is looking as if I will have to air down to enter my garage. Hopefully with the weight of the hardtop, it with settle down a bit.

Thanks
Steve
View attachment 1530769
You could try reverse eye leaf springs SMG. If you have a spring shop around just have the 2 main leafs made but with reverse eyes. I think lcwizard has a line on some good reverse eye spring packs s well. Also, what do your spring perches on the axles look like? I shaved my rear perches and that lowered it almost an inch.

Bripar40,

Thanks
Steve
View attachment 1530769

Hey Steve thanks for the questions. I like how you sleeved your shackle through the frame. I messed around with a few different stock 40 springs that I had lying around to find the set that was flattest. They're not completely flat but I do have a solid 40 degree shackle angle which helps with ride and height.

Are you running stock springs in the picture? I'm not sure that even with the hard top on that the angle would change enough. Also, the more you drive and wheel your suspension the more your springs should flatten out.

Here's a side shot of my truck for reference. It's the blue one.

82A4DAEC-30BE-4320-A7E9-20A4A0AAC070.JPG

I am right at 7' with the top on. Luckily I have 8' garage doors!

how about some close ups of some of your parts, hard to see in the pic, but it looks really tall im running 37" soa shackle reversal and sit pretty low, some pics in my sig i think

IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0995.JPG
Here you go

Sorry for the delay

Bump

Cam cruiser asked for pics of suspension components, thought he had something else to add

Cam cruiser asked for pics of suspension components, thought he had something else to add

Calm down everyone. CNt blame anyone for asking questions. The only dumb one is the one ..... you know the rest.

I would try to find some stock springs those babies look like the have 5" of lift in them. The flatter the better. Better ride better flex etc. let me know if you have any questions

I will echo flat springs, short shackles, and also good power steering. My front has a shackle reversal with the shackle hanger sleeved through the frame, but I don't think it has a huge effect on road. The way it sits on 35s looks right to me and I've taken it long distances, wheeled difficult trails and drove home. It articulates surprisingly well.

2011-09-10_15-00-58_603.jpg
2011-09-10_15-01-13_124.jpg
ctw-9477.jpg

Thanks guys, good advice, I appreciate it. @esh thats a nice stance. Nice articulation! That's about what I'm looking for. I was told my springs were stock, not sure why they have so much arch. I am going to swap my shackles for stock a see how much difference that makes.

Thanks again everyone for the noob patience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom